Hi from the Emerald Isle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm Dennis from Northern Ireland, a long-ago electronics/radio diyer now getting back into diy hifi after (too many) years spent building classic cars. I'm hoping to tap into the wealth of expertise on the forums to update my own knowledge which is, sadly, a bit out of date.

The hifi bug bit again after I recently inherited an LP12/NAD/Diamond 10.1 system and found that my old self-built system sounded better. The old system is diy from end-to-end: direct-drive electronics & arm-bearing from a Strathearn deck (N Ireland built); battery powered JLH preamps; Hitachi mosfet monoblocks and Dave Berriman design (HiFi World) speakers. All the component parts have been tinkered with over the years to arrive at a sound that I like.

So I plugged the LP12 into the old system and, sure enough, it sounded better through my amps/speakers. So a new amp and maybe speakers is needed - the old system is staying as a set in another room. My motto might be "never buy what you can have more fun building yourself" so I've just bought some Crimson Elektrik cct boards off ebay and am looking forward to returning to the smell of a hot soldering iron and charred clothing and fingers..... and endless tinkering.

At least it will make a change from welding burns and the smell of gearbox oil...... but there is still the same endless tinkering!

Dennis

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello David - and Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

It looks as if you have some really great gear already!!! Buuuuuuuuut of course - for those of us that are true addicts there is always another "new" project to be messed about with. :rolleyes:

Have a look around - as usual you will find that some things have changed and yet many things remain the same.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ummm.... not quite sure where the "David" came from?

Dennis

Opps - my bad - and sincere apologies DENNIS!!!!

I had just finished a conversation with a chap named David and I guess that my rusty old mind got stuck on it.

I do wish that I could promise that such a thing will never happen again - but alas - I am finding that little mental glitches (brain [x]arts) are becoming more frequent. I chalk that up to hanging around here too much!!!:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.