Lovely to be here, wonder what mayhem may fallow :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings diyaudio community!!! It's great to get started and see what we may be able to create. To tell the truth I'm a bit of a novice but not completely naive so I hopefully won't be too much of a nuisance. I see this as a great learning opportunity as well as a way to benefit myself and my community with the knowledge gained herein :D

Currently I volunteer as lead sound technician at a local music venue/art gallery in a relatively small city. Our funds are low and most of our equipment is donated or we're just lucky to have it.

Some of my current objectives are to increase our bass levels by building better cabinets and to repair a damaged cone (if possible). I feel that this is a good place to start. Since I'm new to this forum I thought I just start by asking where the best places to post my inquires into building the appropriate bass cabinets and cone repair might be? I figured the 'subwoofers' section of 'loudspeakers' would be it for the cabinet advice, but then I came across this and figured this might be a better way to start things out.

All in all it's good to be here and I look forward to meeting many members of this community ;) Thanks in advance for your considerations with my situation. See ya around!!!

E

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You should have seen my first speaker Al ;) It was a 12" two way paper cone job salvaged from the local dump (complete with open back box) the 12" had so many tears (actually I think it was just disintegrating) in the paper cone it wasn't funny... I patched it back together with watered down pva glue and tissue paper..... I then ran it off my clock radio ;) Hi fidelity it wasn't but it did do a better job than the 1.5" driver in the clock radio ;) It looked interesting with the light behind it ;)

Welcome to DIY audio mindyoursound! Hopefully your cone repair job is as simple as getting a recommendation for the right type of glue! If I recall correctly Al helped me with some suggestions when I put a screwdriver through the rubber surround of one of my MW144 drivers!

Tony.

Thanks you guys. You rock!!! It's gonna be a pain to get up some pictures at the moment but the cone damage is easily described. One of the 15's from a jrx125 tore right around the dust cover. Maybe an 1/8 in out all the way around :-/ Seems like an odd way to tear being that they're relatively new, but my fellow stagehands were running the system on my birthday a week back and I think they may have pushed it too hard.

We are running only two jrx125 off of a rmx 2450 in stereo. I didn't think this amp would blow these speakers being that they're rated 500W/2000W at 4 ohms and the rmx is rated 750W at 4 ohms, but then I read on some forum that this amp will blow these speakers. But shouldn't I be able to get up to a 1000W amp before I really need to worry? It's not like I constantly am overdriving them and my dips are all set right.

Anyhoo, if the guy who owns them can't work out some kind of warranty deal, you think some sort of hardcore glue could seal up that tear around the dust cover. I'll just swap that one with the low driver so it shouldn't be noticeable. And yea, the coil's still good and moves smoothly ;)

Thanks again guys. Dig the fractals wintermute!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.