Hello from West Yorkshire, UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Just joined a few minutes ago and thought I'd better introduce myself. :)

I'm Paul, a guitarist from Normanton in West Yorkshire. Over the last couple of months I've become slightly obsessed with building my own low-wattage valve amplifiers - and I've completed three so far. These have exceeded my expectations!

In a departure from building limited bandwidth, high distortion amps, I've now got really bad GAS for a valve hi-fi. And it seems only right to have a go at building one for myself. Which is how I stumbled across this forum (I was looking for load line information on 6n1p valves).

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully being able to make some worthwhile contributions to this excellent forum.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Merry Christmas!

Beware - there is lots to learn here and it's very easy to become quite addicted. I've learned lots over the last few years. No shortage of clever and helpful folk around.

I'm toying with the idea of building a low power valve guitar amp for a friend who has a really rich sounding gypsy guitar. Post some pics of yours in the Musical Instruments forum.

Cheers,

James

Thank you guys :)

At the risk of getting banned... I don't drink, but Landlord is one of my dad's favourite tipples. ;)

Thank you to Chris for the circuit diagram! I've been looking at something with a pair of EL34s (simply because I have quite a few of them) and paralleled 6n1ps for the input (again, because I have some here). It's still very much on the drawing board, but all ideas and circuit tips are very welcome at the moment.

The guitar amps I've built have been high-gain brutes based round multiple ECC83 input stages. The lowest powered version uses an ECC82 for its output. The other two are EL84 outputs, but one of them also has the option to run a 6n1p as its output, selectable through a switch. All are single-ended. I'll post more details in the appropriate forum area later. The basis for both of the EL84 amps came from Merlin Blencowe's excellent books!

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome. And I'm already hooked! Just hunting for suitable transformers at the moment! :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you guys :)

At the risk of getting banned... I don't drink, but Landlord is one of my dad's favourite tipples. ;)

Hello Paul - and a bit of a late Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

You can join me over in the no alcohol thank you very much corner. After a couple of hours we will appear to be ever so much more civil and clever than the other chaps!!! ;)

I lived in Ipswich as a lad and still luv a proper fish n' chips or bangers and mash.

BTW - get out from under the stairs and take the soldering inside :eek:

BTW - get out from under the stairs and take the soldering inside :eek:
:D
My "under the stairs" haven is indeed inside. It used to be a broom cupboard, but soldering and tweaking outside in a cold shed held little appeal, so the broom cupboard sprouted a workbench and some power points... ;)

After a couple of hours we will appear to be ever so much more civil and clever than the other chaps!!!
I doubt that I'll ever be mistaken for being clever, but I try to be civil at all times. :D

Many thanks for the welcome. :)

more clever than you let on - I checked out your work on the other thread and your video. Well done!! :cool:
Thank you! You're very kind. :)

If I'd been clever, I'd have bought one instead of torturing myself with the build and the debugging :D

But it wouldn't have been half so much fun, or quite as cheap! ;) Us Yorkshiremen are known for our parsimonious nature... ;)

Mind you, it HAS given me the urge to build an all valve hi fi. And I may have to sell some body parts to buy the iron I'm going to need. :(

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you! You're very kind. :)

Mind you, it HAS given me the urge to build an all valve hi fi. And I may have to sell some body parts to buy the iron I'm going to need. :(

Well - you do have two of some things - such as eyes, kidneys, testicles , etc. - so one to spare. Keep both of your ears as you will need them for listening to music. :D:D:D:D

'N NOW you know why I look like a Borg!!!! :eek:

Attachments

• borg.jpg
    borg.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 31
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.