Ward from Seattle area

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been retired from the computer industry (software, not hardware) for several years now. I have a broad range of interests and now that I finally have the time to pursue them at my own pace I am having a great time. My warm-weather hobby has been outboard motors and small boats. I knew nothing about either 5 years ago, but just started buying small boats on Craigslist, trying them out, cleaning them up, and reselling them for a profit. I now have 2 boats and 5 or 6 outboards. I plan to refurbish the outboards soon and whittle it down to just a couple of outboards.

The reason I am posting here is that I have always wanted to learn about audio systems and now I have just the right project to get me going. We bought a 14 year old house that has extensive audio and video cabling run throughout the house. However besides the cabling, the only parts left behind by the previous owner are the in-wall/ceiling speakers (about 12 pair) and a Niles Audio IRZ-6A unit. The little research I have done up to now points in the direction of needing a bunch of amps to drive the speakers. What else I need I have no idea.

Regarding the amps, since I understand I need several to fully utilize this setup, I am thinking about building them myself based on a DIY design. I have no experience with this but I can say I am patient, persistent, careful and have plenty of time. I figure by the time I build the last one I will actually have a good idea of what I am doing.

Does anybody have any words of advice on how to proceed on such a project? Can't wait to hear what some experience folks think about my bright idea.

Ward

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.