Saying hello from the depths of Sussex UK!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wonderful site which I don't quite know how I've missed until now, but here now and feeling privileged to be part of a such a vibrant community!

Got myself into tinkering around the age of 12 by pulling junk from scrapyards and experimenting. By the age of 14, I had learned in no specific order:

• that TV HT field coils are great for self tasering
  • magnetic fields deflect colour television electron beams
  • unfortunately the above effect is permanent when tried on a brand new Sony Trinitron
  • never bypass the ignition fuse on your fathers car - even if you are absolutely certain your newly constructed booster power amplifier will work first time with no prior testing
  • numerically speaking, peak music loudspeaker power ratings are not the same as true RMS and that smoke is always the byproduct
  • Tis always best to own up to ones parents when questioned after expensive TV's / Radiograms etc. mysteriously cease to work
  • 12v electrolytics and 240V AC mains make blinding white flashes, loud bangs, more smoke and is an effective blackbird deterrent
  • 240V AC mains is great at arc-welding screwdrivers to metal chassis
  • 100V line level outputs are just as effective

I could go on and I'm sure you guys have many other stories of hard won experience!

Life's a little more responsible now, but I guess those early days set me on a path to my engineerig career and a lifetime love of music and music reproduction.

On the way I've spent a small fortune on everything from Sony to Electrocompaniet, Technics to Krell, Harbeth to Quad, Garrard to Thorens, Shure to Decca, SME to Hadcock.

Anyway, enough already - I must learn to shut up - but hey you don't get married unless one gets bored with completing ones own sentences.

Looking forward to learning a lot more. :)

Saying hello from leafier "just in West Sussex". You ought to post some pics of your kit and details of any DIY projects that are taking your fancy. You could do a lot worse than making the Lightspeed Attenuator. For about £25 inc powersupply (fancy case extra) you will be smiling all over your face.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.