Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Greetings from the basement lab!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2008, 07:02 PM   #1
VintageDave is offline VintageDave  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Greetings from the basement lab!

Hi all,
My name's Dave and I'd like to express my thanks in advance to all of you who are into music and electronics like I am.
I am an electrical engineer, 55 years old, lead guitar playing Christian rocker in mid Michigan, and like my tag says, I'm into vintage audio, especially tube guitar amps and old classic audio. I had a nice system in the 70's and now that I'm older I'm into building my own electronics, and I can't think of a better way to start moving from guitar amps to audio than by restoring / modding old gear like I used to have.
I'm starting with (ducks to avoid getting hit!) a Phase Linear 400, Soundcraftsmen 2204 preamp/equalizer, Radio Shack Optimus 7 speakers (really, a fine speaker from the mid 70's that was underrated), and a pioneer cd player,
and I just resurrected a Hafler DH-101 preamp that I think will be my first serious project.
I'll see you all on the boards, and have a Blessed day!
-Dave
SAE 2100L preamp, SAE 2800 eq, (2) Phase Linear 700B amps, rebuilt w/White Oak components, Dahlquist DQ10, Dahlquist DQ-LP1 active crossover, Dahlquist DQ-1 subs, dbx 3bx DS, dbx 400x, dbx 120, Oppo BDP-105 CD/DVD, Pioneer PL-71 / Shure M97eX
Old 9th February 2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Dave and welcome to the forums.
Old 10th February 2008, 06:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Cal. Nice forum you have here.
When can I begin to post questions? I just tried and I'm still under moderation...
SAE 2100L preamp, SAE 2800 eq, (2) Phase Linear 700B amps, rebuilt w/White Oak components, Dahlquist DQ10, Dahlquist DQ-LP1 active crossover, Dahlquist DQ-1 subs, dbx 3bx DS, dbx 400x, dbx 120, Oppo BDP-105 CD/DVD, Pioneer PL-71 / Shure M97eX
Old 11th February 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You can post questions any time. When it asks if you have searched, you click the searched button and you will be free to post. The moderation part is a necessary evil. You will be released after we see a few go through the queue.
Old 11th February 2008, 03:58 PM   #5
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Greetings from the basement lab!

Quote:
Originally posted by VintageDave
Hi all,
My name's Dave and I'd like to express my thanks in advance to all of you who are into music and electronics like I am.
I am an electrical engineer, 55 years old, lead guitar playing Christian rocker in mid Michigan, and like my tag says, I'm into vintage audio, especially tube guitar amps and old classic audio. I had a nice system in the 70's and now that I'm older I'm into building my own electronics, and I can't think of a better way to start moving from guitar amps to audio than by restoring / modding old gear like I used to have.
I'm starting with (ducks to avoid getting hit!) a Phase Linear 400, Soundcraftsmen 2204 preamp/equalizer, Radio Shack Optimus 7 speakers (really, a fine speaker from the mid 70's that was underrated), and a pioneer cd player,
and I just resurrected a Hafler DH-101 preamp that I think will be my first serious project.
I'll see you all on the boards, and have a Blessed day!
-Dave
There's a thread around here on the RS Optimus 7

You're gonna find that the mechanical build quality of the old stuff is impressively better than the stamped out versions that you see today. Goes for the PL, Soundx and Hafler.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It really is true. I think the new amps that advertise 1000 watts at 2 ohms and weigh 12 1/2 lbs are junk compared to the old Flame that runs my system. Give me an amp that has a great (linear) power supply and I'll show you a good amp!

Greetings from the basement lab!Hide this!Advertise here!