Greetings from sunny Stockport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Hmm, this intro. stuff doesn't come naturally to me. My name is Andy, I live in Stockport, UK and I know next to nothing about Hi-Fi DIY. I do like listening to good sounds and am up for learning how to improve those sounds myself without just going into a shop and parting with cash. After a visit to a Hi-Fi show I've gained a hankering for that valve sound but we'll see how we go.

Besides Hi-Fi, cycling (MTB and road) is really where it's at for me although I like a spot of guitar playing, gardening and hill walking too.

There we go. Done :)

poynton said:
Stockport used to be a good place for DIY HiFi - on the corner of Hillgate and down past Robbies.

Welcome to the forum.

Andy

PS guess where I'm from?

Hi Andy,

Corner of Hillgate and... ? There's a Richer Sounds around there and then further down Wellington Street (past Robbies) there seems to be a shop that sells lots of 'bits'. Certainly lots of car audio type stuff in the window. Is that where you mean?

I'm guessing Poynton :) but the Welsh flag has got me puzzled.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I've browsed some other forums but been put off by how often people seem to get the hump. It's only hi-fi, after all :)

Cheers,

Andy.

I've not been to Stockport for ages.
Where Richer sounds is used to be Fairbrothers, a good hifi shop.
2 doors round the corner was a small shop run by a Scot, where I bought all my bits.
Just up from Robbies was another electronics shop and opposite was a 'junk' shop which did valves. There were a couple of other small electronics shops as well as some on Higher Hillgate.

Not as good as Shudehill in Manchester but easier to get to on my bike.

Andy

PS I only reside in N. Wales

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.