In over my head, hoping diyAudio can help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there folks,

I'd like to introduce myself as a music lover and, as a matter of fact, a music student. I play the double bass in many different styles of music, and I also love to listen to a very wide range of music.

Only very recently have I taken steps to get a good listening system set up. After lots of research on Head-Fi, a few weeks ago I bought a Stax SR-X mk. III with speaker adaptor. In the last few days got a great deal on a Harmon/Kardon 930 twin powered receiver, a pair of EPI 100's, and a Pioneer SX-939.

However, I need to do a little restoration to these old amps, and I'm definitely NOT very electrically savvy. I haven't soldered in a looong time. However, I'm hoping that, with a little research and advice from here, I can figure out (for example) what kinds of caps I can use on these amps that are "good enough" without breaking the bank, and where to get them. This is what's brought me to DIYaudio!

Anyways, thanks for letting me join your forum and audio community. If anyone has a suggestion about where to start looking for basic information on audio capacitors, I'd be very grateful.

Welcome to the forum! It's quite a fine community.

If I would have the temerity to offer advice, it would be to start more basic. If you can learn enough basic electronics to understand the circuitry, then you can make informed decisions about upgrades and modifications. That way, you can decide if changing capacitors is actually the right thing to do or if performance limitations are best handled elsewhere.

We've had some excellent discussions on books for learning the basics. A bit of forum searching will turn up an embarrassment of ideas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.