Hello from the mushroom capital of the world

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kennett Square, PA At least that is what the sign says when you drive into it. My name is Todd and I am a retired USAF MSgt now working as an application engineer for a buildings control company. In my previous life I installed, troubleshot, and taught electronics as they pertained to Instrument Landing Systems, Navigation Beacons, and Weather Measurement Equipment. Now I play with HVAC, large capacity rectifiers, SNMP traps, and explosive/toxic gas monitors. I still like to tinker and can identify a 12at7 at first site; although I haven't played with tube equipment for many a year now. I've got an o'scope and a few DMMs, a soldering station, and can read rudimentary schematics and have three old SS amps I'd like to work my way through. I have audited the forum for a while and liked the tone and helpfulness everyone seems to show towards each other. So, hello there to all.

Hi Todd! And welcome! Yes, the people here are exemplary; very helpful. And there are many, here, who are extremely knowledgable, and even some who are world-famous.

The word "Mushroom" is what caught my eye, first. Does it refer to the wild Morel mushrooms? Or do they just grow a lot of "regular" mushrooms, there? I really look forward to going out in the woods, each spring, and looking for Morels, here in SW Indiana.

Your USAF stuff sounds interesting. I did a little "guidance and control" engineering work for the F-15 program (and the Navy/Marines F/A-18), back in the early 1980s. The guy sitting behind me, at one location, designed the ACLS (automatic carrier landing system) for the F/A-18.

One question: What's an "SNMP trap"?

Regards,

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

All kinds of legal mushrooms

They grow all kinds of mushrooms here now, Maitakis, Shitakis, Oysters, etc. Try this link for the Morel hunter club
http://fungifest.com/2007/22nd-kennett-mushroom-festival.html

Simple Network Management Protocol, A protocol used by network hosts to exchange information used in the management of networks. In my case, we use it to send environmental and alarm information back to either our servers or our customers' to keep an eye on the sites. Most of the sites we monitor are un-manned telecomm sites.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Todd!

Big WELCOME to the forums from a fellow Met/Nav type. I worked at the McClellan repair depot back in the day and may have met you at some of the annual users meetings we held there (I seem to remember a couple of "Todd's" - but that was back in the 90's). Did you ever work with Clay Dukes, Art Linn, Dan Rivas, Larry Walton? Your name sure seems to ring a bell - but that could just be my wife calling me for dinner :D

McClellan repair depot

I seem to remember Clay Dukes and Dan Riva's name and there was another Dan, I think it was Murphy? I was E&I and the SMT in PACAF. Spent 84-95 based out of Yokota Japan and the 95-2001 based out of Hickam HI. Most of the time, I was TDY, Alaska to India was my little corner of the world. I did visit the Depot there a couple of times while TCTO kit proofing and stuff like that. I wrote a couple of alignment procedures for the Cardion :headbash: equipment that had to be approved by you guys. METNAV was a small world and, for better or worse, most people that were in it for any length of time knew each other. We probably either ran into each other or at least talked on the phone.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Todd,

Dan Murphy worked over in the NAVAIDS/ILS shop with David Crosby. We most likely talked on the phone a few times for field support or TDY stuff. I was the Section Chief so I got to talk to most of the troops in the field and might have talked with you about something related. Well all of this is non-audio so I'll stop with the war stories. Welcome to the forums and feel free to drop me a PM anytime! If you get around Nashville give me a call! :cheers:

Thanks, I am looking forward to accessing your brain trust. I've got three MC 250s. One works great, one sounds shrill when used in mono, one has a left channel that won't play. I'm setting up the triage workbench and will start exercising my troubleshooting skills soon (front to back, back to front, half-split) to see if I can diagnose the problems. After that, I may be leaning heavily on you guys for help and options on improving them. Thanks again.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Todd,

Yeah - we had a few of those around the shop! My background as a tech for the AF was Space Com - when I was an enlisted troop in the Navy I was a Missile Fire Control type. Went to MET/NAV as a crew chief or the Meteorological shop and then 1st line stupervisor. Had the NAVAIDS- TACAN - ILS shops added when I made Section Chief - so I never played with the NAVAIDS stuff as a tech. Had plenty of experience listening to the techs explain troubles with tech data, TO's, TCTO's, parts problems etc. and tried to get things resolved at higher levels (contractor - ES - engineering) tho. I loved the weather gear as it was real science! Ionospheric sounding and space weather were pretty neat. Would love to go chase a couple of twisters!!! :D :D :D :D

ps - I'd use that money for some nice tube mono blocks!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.