Introduction...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm new here but have been lurking here on and off for the past year or so. I was finally motivated to join mostly to follow what's going on in the high-efficiency/single driver/SET world from the DIY perspective -- mostly thanks to Dave at Planet 10.

I also happen to be the facilitator of the single driver circle over at AC, which is also part of my reason to keep up with what the DIY'ers in this area are doing (which is probably a high percentage of the folks who are into the whole SET/single driver thing.

I am an EE and computer scientist by training, but haven't been near a lab bench since the mid 80s, but starting from the early 70s through then, I designed and built several pieces of audio gear including preamps, parametric EQs, noise gates, power amps, and more than a few speakers, most of which was SS. Tubes are my thing now -- which is where I started, and that's mostly where you'll find me hanging out here -- tube amps, and high efficiency speakers.

Oh, and if I seem a bit confused about things that should otherwise seem obvious in a picture or schematic, it is because I am totally blind (having lost my sight at age 31), and may ask for descriptions when it is appropriate.

Thanks,

Jim

Cal,

Thanks for the welcome. I use a piece of software called a screen reader which allows me to navigate applications and read the screen contents using a speech synthesizer for output. It's much more complex than that, but that's the basic idea.

Access to drawings and other line graphics, charts, etc. is slowly happening through the use of a high density tactile printer -- like a braille printer, but 4 times the dot density. I have one of these printers and even played a collaborative role in its development, but right now the software is the limiting element, but that too is improving, and at this point, we're not too far from being able to do some very interesting things with all of this. I expect that I'll be getting the next generation of the software to start testing with, sometime early in the new year, and believe me, I've got plenty to test :) There are lots of schematics and speaker charts and designs that I'd like to be able to work with, and that may be happening sooner rather than later.

-- Jim

Al,

Thanks also for the welcome.

It's even more interesting in that the printer can print 7 different height dots, so you will eventually be able to do all sorts of interesting thing with contrasting lines.

The guy who developed this is a now retired physics professor who lost his sight in his 40s and, like me after losing my sight, struggled with a decent way to work with mathematics, diagrams, charts, etc., and came up with this printer and associated software, which is now in production and being sold all over the world. I caught up with him about 10 years ago at a convention, and we've been working together since then.

As great as it is, there is still a long way to go, but if things play out the way they should, it's going to make a lot of previously inaccessible materials workable for blind students and professionals alike.

-- Jim

Just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong -- I tried to start a new thread in the full range forum and when I go to post it I get a pop-up that tells me to search the forum first, with an ok button only. Pressing the button does what? Yes, continuously brings up the same warning, and I don't seem to be able to start my new thread at all.

What can I do about this? (sorry, not sure where else to ask this.)

-- Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.