Blanced input & output for alesis 3630

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nigel's suggestion is a good one. You might want to add a DC blocking cap and diode clamping to each balanced input of the receiver stage ... to keep that 48 volt phantom power from a hot mic from blowing away your PSU. ... maybe like this:

Attachments

• balunbalfront.jpg
    balunbalfront.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 148
Hey thanks folks. What happens is, I am a musician and my rack for vocals is:

Bellarri MP 105 ( phantom power pre ) - Behringer Ultra q pro Eq - Alesis 3630 compressor - Alesis Quadraverb2 - optical to computer / analog to amp

Now all units accept balanced in / out but the compressor. Doesn't it affect the sound? Wouldn't it be better to have it all connected balanced? Thanks!

The basic reason that Alesis built that gadget with unbalanced I/O is just exactly so that a) it would not normally be in the audio circuit of a pro recording studio and b) so that microphones, etc. would not be directly connected to it. (There may be an XLR version for your purposes.)

Anyway, if it is usable to you, and otherwise connected, then leave it alone ... unless you have a crying need to use it 'cause you got it. (Normally, compression / expansion is added during mix down, not master recording ... exception: broadcast usage.) I would not use it at all if you are working with 24bit masters ... Or sources that need to be held under control for some reason like sound FX that are too dynamic for 110+ db masters, etc.

The mixing of balanced and unbalanced devices usually does not affect over all quality as long as the unbalanced interconnects are of good quality and kept rather short = IMOP under 3 feet = patch panel cables.

If you are mixing down to 16bit CD quality, then it is a very useful device when not overly used. ("CDs suck" - Bob Dylan) :rolleyes:

Maximo said:
Hey thanks folks. What happens is, I am a musician and my rack for vocals is:

Bellarri MP 105 ( phantom power pre ) - Behringer Ultra q pro Eq - Alesis 3630 compressor - Alesis Quadraverb2 - optical to computer / analog to amp

Now all units accept balanced in / out but the compressor. Doesn't it affect the sound? Wouldn't it be better to have it all connected balanced? Thanks!

I wouldn't have thought you would be able to hear, or measure, any difference either way?- I would just connect it unbalanced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.