Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Building a battery powered guitar mp
Building a battery powered guitar mp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
filholder is offline filholder  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Building a battery powered guitar mp

Hi,

I am trying to build a guitar amp for a friend. He is a professional busker here in London and wants a decent quality preamp (maybe with FX), amp and loudspeaker unit all in one. The project is making me scratch my head quite a lot i have to say. The unit needs to be run off 1 or 2 SLA battery and needs to run as such for at least 4 hrs a day. For the power amp section I am thinking a t-amp of some kind from 41hz.com but the preamp and fx are causing a lot of head scratching. I have found a decent preamp on ESP but it requires a -/+ 15v supply, if i tied together two SLA i guess i could get a -/+ 13.8v supply. If i did this could i also send separate dual parallel wiring from he batteries to power the power amp section?

The unit also needs a separate CD in and i was thinking about using a high efficiency full range driver as final output.

Any idea, links or help very much appreciated.

Links or circuit layouts would be very very welcome for anything from a guitar pre amp to reverb, EQing, fx anything.

Also any site that do Guitar electronic kits or pcb would be very much apriciated.

Phil
Old 26th November 2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Nigel Goodwin is offline Nigel Goodwin  England
diyAudio Member

You might have a look at the Portapal, it was reprinted more recently in the uK magazine EPE, and you can buy PCB's from them here. You can also buy back issues.
Old 27th November 2006, 02:27 PM   #3
filholder is offline filholder  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much, looks interesting.

I have tried to buy back issues but they are out of print. Found the first re-issue on ebay and bought that.

I am still not sure whether to go this way or not, i was thinking a class d amp and a very efficient full range driver like a fostex 206 might be a good idea since then you are using both a very efficient amp and a very highly sensitive driver. Also T-amps and fostex type speakers are mean to sound good together.

It might might be just a case of building a custom loudspeaker cabinet, buying in T-amp and working out preamp with a line level, guitar and microphone input all with volume and tone controls and a fx send for the guitar. I would love to build in some FX but i haven't found any good circuits for these as yet.

phil
  Reply to this post

Building a battery powered guitar mpHide this!Advertise here!