Guitar Head Amp Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right now I'm using a 120 watt Crate amp (2 x 12") which quite literally sucks, so I'd like to build a nice head amp.

Tubes are a must, somewhere in the 75-100 watt range would be ideal - along the lines of a good Marshall tube stack sound!

I can't afford to buy a head (even used), so hopefully I can build something cost effective yet sounds impressive, even if it takes a little time.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions/links to kits or schematics - something that doesn't require robbing a bank or rocket science to build :clown:

(I'll build a 4 x 12" cab after this part of the project is done.)

75W to 100W ? You going to play at the Superdome?

These days with the outstanding sound systems at even the cheesiest metal/cub or bar the most common wattages are far lower with Mic'd amps to get a good sounding mix down.

Its easy to get a simple schematic for a 18-50W unit that wont break the bank. But will blow you away in tonal qualities and volume levels.

I think I have about $275.00-$325.00 in This Chassis for a combo unit

I have built the same basic amp on a Hammond Chassis as a Head Chassis And stuffed it into a rock solid Head Cabinet

Its more a flavor issue, Fenders sound different than Marshall's and so on.

Ebay can be a fair source for parts if times not an issue. There are also a lot of fairly nice kits out there, Weber Amplifiers comes to mind for about any style Marshall or Fender Clone an reasonably priced.

Or you could build from scratch (Like Me). I find the latter being more rewarding.

Trout

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have clarified that I've built many a tube amp for home audio, so "novice" doesn't apply lol.

I can sort of probably maybe squeeze by with 50 watts, but I've learned that building right the first time is cheaper than building again.

Not only will this be used for indoor, but outdoors as well... parks, uncovered/outdoor pavillions, etc. where sound isn't supplied, I'd like to stay in the vicinity of around 75 - 100 watts. I can always down the volume - but hey, with a 50 watter, the dial stops at 10!

So, any help with what I'm after would be great!

???

(Oh yeah... still interested in something along the sound of a good Marshal tube amp)

Not only will this be used for indoor, but outdoors as well... parks, uncovered/outdoor pavillions, etc. where sound isn't supplied, I'd like to stay in the vicinity of around 75 - 100 watts. I can always down the volume - but hey, with a 50 watter, the dial stops at 10!

Your speaker choices will have a huge impact on volume available, more so than 50watt vs 100watt. Also, turning volume down if your after power tube distortion can be problematic, a power attenuator might be something to look into.

Your speaker choices will have a huge impact on volume available, more so than 50watt vs 100watt

Exactly,
In my case, The head unit feeds a 4 X12 Cab with Jensen Neo speakers rated for 100W/200W music and a 98.8 db rating which is fairly efficient.

In my Combo unit (Same Circuit) I run 2 X 12 (again Neo's) and its still an ear bleeder.

Still a 45-50W amp. And Plenty of verb I am sure.

You want really power cheap?? Watch ebay for a Univox head. They are vintage 70's-80's 100W or more and sell for around $200-300us or often less. Put a good pedal in front of it and your covered. I could describe the sound as sort of a Brutally Hiwatt Clean and built like a rock.
No way you could build one cheaper, The Transformers are worth more.

Heres a nice one on ebay

I happen to have a U1511 150W running a quad of 6550's. Its great if you do not like your neighbors ( in a 3 mile radius) Those were from back in the day of uncontrolled concert db levels.

Trout

I've been spending a lot of time looking at the Weber amp kits (btw, thanks for the link!) - exactly what I'm looking for.

Both very reasonably priced, the 6M45P (45 watt?) gets a lot of rave, but a few folks are recommending the 6M100 (100 watt) for the tone that I want. The down side is that I can't listen to them side-by-side for a true comparison - one of the disadvantages of diy.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.