Krank circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guyz,
Do you have any idea of WHERE THE HACK CAN I FIND ANY KRANK CIRCUITS :bawling: ?
Man, I searched web and some circuits pages, but with no result.
I realy need them bad. Even something that differ from the classic amps, like tone stack parts, or distortion chain, whatever.
I have something like a peavey 5150 II handbuilt, but I still search for that bestial krankin` sound. It seems that nothing like a circuit even exists.
Thx.

Hi,
uhm, I`ve probably written the first message so it looks like I have the schematics, but didn`t mean that.
The circuits, which I don`t have any more, was my amp I built for myself, not a Krank amps schematic.
I still search for schematic for KranK revolution or Krankestein, but no luck :bawling:
Sorry for the inconvinience guys...

I'm also very interested in those sweet things,,,

You can find some pics of the revolution circuit here:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know you can't do much with it but that'll help you dreaming a bit :D

Some considerations I do when I think of these kranks:

1-there's no schematic 'round the net, searched everywhere and nothing, so best thing would be to rent one for a coupla days and copyin the whole thing down into your computer,,, shame I can't find an audio service here that has even ever heard of krank,,,

2-if we get to know the name of the guy/company who owns the patent for the circuit parts [usually they patent single parts of the circuits] we can get the schematics from the us patent site,,, I searched there too but found nothing,,,

3-the hi-gain tube preamp circuits are all the same more or less,,, mainly it's just the values of the components that change, so that thunderous tone you get with the kranks can't be much more than a very good combination job of component sizes/values

4-the krankenstein is just the revolution with some very minor additions darrell requested [an fx loop and not much more IIRC]

also, Minion, I had a search around [also looked on diystompboxes] and couldn't find any schematic for the distortus maximus,,, could you please help me in finding some?
btw, is this a solid state or a tube distortion pedal?
Anyway, I was on the andy sneap forum and he said it sounds very good in his opinion,,, you know what, I trust the guy,,, so I'd like to give a shot at cloning this pedal,,, :D

yes, those circuits are pretty simple,,, almost all of those higain amps with 12ax7's are kinda simple,,,
the 5150 is a bit more complicated indeed,,,

Sad to hear its SS,,, I already have an SS preamp based on the mesa rectifier [I built also a tube replica of that preamp :D ] and it really kicks *** with immense gain,,, but those SS things really have something wrong with the hi freqs,,,

you guys livin in the US, if you can rent a krank revolution then do it please!! I can also help you out with the money if you hand out the schematics,,, :D

hmmm, yes, maybe 5150 is bit difficult, but pretty straight and powerful. I just can`t get enough of that beastly sound....and I still keep modifying it :D But, in a meantime, I just neeeed to build another amp, and that will be KranK and, if somebody will be so kind and copy the schem of Madison Omen or Devinity, nect will be that :devilr: ...
also, I need to say, although its so sure and obvious, The main stage of that Krankin` sound are their cabinets loaded with Eminence Texas Heats (ultimate killers :devilr: ) or V12 legends, as long as I remember...but that TH`s ale the main part of that sound...

Thx Minion.

Ragnar, you could try the rectifier by mesa boogie. The circuit is very simple and sounds VERY mean.
I did it as my first project and it worked out first powerup,,,
If you go in the tubes section and into the photo gallery thread there's some pic and sound sample at page 74,,,

BTW, here's a clip, reamped into a 5150 and into my 15€ dr.boogey which is the solid state emulation of the mesa rectifier,,, both were then processed thru the same poweramp, speaker and mic impulse so that the confrontation is just on the preamp sound.

here we go:

5150:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/a78b3f59-19df-4ad2-8554-daf4da7b4d7e/5150a

and my dr.boogey:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/2036743d-4818-48b1-9668-4d23e5d042a4/Boogey

can you hear any difference?

:D

Thanx :)

Here's the schematics:
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/bogner/xtc_od.gif

It's just the hi-gain section of the preamp [who needs the clean channel anyway?? :D ]. I used the AX-84 power section and a switching supply for the filaments.
Power transformer is custom made and it's a 1:1 ratio [230Vac-230Vac]. Rect diodes are ultra fast recovery ones [tighter bass response], all caps are orange drop, silver mica, or elna cerafine, all resistors are metal film ones.

I still need to fit an integrated Tube Screamer to make the sound sharper,,, will post some pics and some new clips asap.

Interesting thread. I havent built a pedal for a while now but those sound clips are pretty good! Might start with trying out this burning church pedal :)

Do you have a schmatic for thie dr.boogey? To be clear, the dr.boogey is a solid state emulation of the mesa dual rectifier??
And the dr boogey is missing something in the high freq's?

Is there a schematic flating around for the mesa tube preamp?

Here's the schematic for the mesa rectifier [complete amp :D ]:
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=507

it's not the original one but it's ok, I also got the original one on my home hd but can't remember where I got it,,, can send it to who's interested [for free obviously] if you provide your mail,,,

yes, the dr.boogey is the SS emulator of the mesa rectifier preamp,,,
here's the layout for it:
http://www.4thlevelmedia.com/DrBoogeyPartsLayout.gif

and here's a great page with lots of FET tube emulation circuits:
http://www.4thlevelmedia.com/stompboxes.html

The dr.boogey doesn't lack any hi freq, on the contrary, it has the tipical hifreq 'buzzsaw' of SS preamps,,, you may like it or not,,, it has TONS of gain [either you turn the gain to 1 or 11 it's about the same,,,] a the low end is a bit loose for my likes but for 15 bucks you can build a higain pedal that eats a boss mt2 [which costs 150+ bucks] for breakfast,,, it's surely a match for the burning church pedal imho,,,

to me it sounds more like a 5150 than a rectifier given the sharp hi end it has.

I'd advice you to build the rectifier tube preamp,,, it's kinda easy [was my first project] and really badass,,, also you could try the soldano SLO, it's the buotique version of the rectifier [better yet, it''s the original and mesa almost copied it for their rectifier] and there's lots of clones around so you can find all the schematics and layouts you need,,,

have fun,,,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.