blues junior complaints and 6G15 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody else have a noisy Fender blues junior? I have actually posted this before and had people trying to tell me it may be broken or what not but I think this amp just sucks... I built a princeton 5F2 amp and it is definitely quieter and the tone leaves the blues junior for dead. I wish I had of got into this building guitar amp stuff sooner! Ive done adjustable bias mods and what not just to play with it and learn a bit, but I cannot love this thing anymore. I cant find any usefull suggestions to fix the noise and even if I did I still dont know about the tone. I cant really blame the speaker (which ive heard people complain about) as I like the princetons sound through it. Maybe I like the 6V6 type amps better? maybe a new output transformer could help the blues junior? Anybody who has a blues junior and likes it please tell me what the deal is with mine and why you like yours and what youve done to it. Also if anybody has a solution to the background noise problem please let me know. Im probably going to cut my losses though, get rid of the junior and put the money towards building something.
Oh yeah and can anyone sugget a decent place to buy transformers for a 6G15 reverb unit? I checked out the price of a fender reissue power transformer which was $180Aud!! I can order a choke, output and power transformer (Weber) from the US pay postage and still have change from $180. I have everything else just need to get transformers. Look forward to hearing your comments/opinions, everyones always extremely helpfull here so thanks in advance

Oh yeah and can anyone sugget a decent place to buy transformers for a 6G15 reverb unit? I checked out the price of a fender reissue power transformer which was $180Aud!! I can order a choke, output and power transformer (Weber) from the US pay postage and still have change from $180.

AES

AES has the reverb output trans
Part Number P-TF22921 13.95US
Power transformer Part number P-TF47609 24.95US

I would imagine that most any fender deluxe choke would fill the bill
Choke Part Number P-CF22707 13.95US might be a good choice.

Total under $60.00 US plus shipping.

Trout

PS gut the blues Jr and build a 5E3 in the box LOL

The blues jr is a so so amp. Maybe changing the speaker might help, changing the opt will not. Lots of modern Fenders are noisy. A white noise hiss that does not go away? Swap tubes, push some wires, what else can you do on a PCB amp?

If you made a 5F2, you can build much better than the blues jr will ever be. Gut it or sell it. Gut it for a 5E3 is a great idea.

I personally like the 6V6 sound better. I have a SF Princeton with a JBL D-somethingoranother, and it sounds like gold. My most versatile Fender, and I have quite a few. Other than speaker and a re-cap, it is stock and it is *silent*. No hiss, no hum.

hey, the blues jr. is a cool amp.... your's probably has something wrong with it from your description. the reverb cirucuit is notoriously noisey on some. Its not too similar to the blackface fenders, much darker, mid-heavy sound. I have done several mods to mine, but I stopped messing with it because of that damn pcb. I have the unused triode section as a cathode follower driving the tone stack, ala marshall. You can also change a cap in the stack to get more of the fender mid-scoop if you like that. I never use the master volume... keep it at 12. btw, the stock speaker is fine. theres a nice page on mods to the amp if you're interested.. i don't have the link handy at the moment. enjoy!

Yeah ive done the tone stack mods but dont think it makes that much of a difference (not one that I can really notice anyway). Ive also done the adjustable bias mod which was good for me as I havent played with biasing before. Im sure its not broken as I bought it new and tryed more than one, but for the money at the time what else was I gonna get with tubes? I was looking for a fender, I got into tube amps cause I was jamming with one of my dads mates who had a champ2. Then I had to have tubes! my solid state stuffs been gathering dust ever since. Im 22 by the way and am curious, does anyone else find that not many younger folk seem to use tube amplification? (all my friends have marshall valvestates and the like).
As for the gutting the blues junior and building a 5E3, could be an idea as I doubt ill be able to get much for it. Might try and sell its guts on flea bay or something?. Im also curious about making a princeton reverb but yeah think ill work my way up to it, finish the reverb unit first and maybe do the 5E3 blues junior mod hahaha (I should make my own blues junior mods page!).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.