Behringer A500 as a DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the middle of building the quasi FET design and was starting to wonder how to package it nicely in a box with heatsinks , power supply, etc...
I bumped into the A500 pictures and thought that for $180, it might provide a lot of hardware to get there.
(a box, heatsinks, transformer, connectors, knobs, potentiometers, etc... might cost as much).

Does anybody have the schematics of the A500?

Has anybody tried to mod this guy before?

Thanks,

JLD

Attachments

• a500 pics.zip
    64.1 KB · Views: 4,603
derouineau said:
I am in the middle of building the quasi FET design and was starting to wonder how to package it nicely in a box with heatsinks , power supply, etc...
I bumped into the A500 pictures and thought that for $180, it might provide a lot of hardware to get there.
(a box, heatsinks, transformer, connectors, knobs, potentiometers, etc... might cost as much).
Does anybody have the schematics of the A500?
Has anybody tried to mod this guy before?
Thanks,
JLD

Dear Sir,

I am very interested in this amp.
Thank you for the pictures. The toroid in particular is very impressive for the price.
I would like to ask you:
1) did you listen to it?
2) what do you think is the VA rating of the transformer?
3) do you think it would be able to drive also demanding loads?
4) any links to reviews or similar?

Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe

derouineau said:
Well unfortunately I am in the same situtation as you are.
I don't own it...
I got these pictures from a guy, I think on AVS, but I could not get in touch with him for more info.
I will try get back to the links I found before but here are a few to start with:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17004
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/id11.html
I am surprised that nobody on diyAudio has been involved with this amplifier.
JLD

Dear Sir,
thank you so much for your very kind and valuable reply.
I have already a nice pro amp, a Samson Servo 260 (130W/4ohm).
I like the sound on the mid and high but the bass response is weak.
After some analysis I think that the reason is an undersized transformer.
I am surprised by the dimension of the toroid inside the A500, very fundamental condition for a amp with good current delivery.
Thank you for the most interesting links.
I am also interested about another Behirnger amp, the EP1500 even more after reading this opinion on the link you have provided:
" I haven't auditioned the A500, but based on my experience with the pro line EP1500, I'd have high expectations. I'm using an Anthem AVM20 digital preamp with B&W 801s with a Behringer EP1500 amp, and the sound is incredible.
The EP1500 has really restored my feelings about how much I love music and good sound reproduction. I just replaced a $2000 hi-end audiophile amp with this ridiculously cheap amp, and it sounds better in every respect: ... -John "

Well I would call this amazing, wouldn't you ?
One thing is sure, high end amps are quite overprized.
Please excuse me if I will take the liberty of disturbing you after reading carefully the links.
As you can understand I am undecided amon the two.
The bigger has an annoying fan but more power.
The smaller is very nice indeed and I like very much indeed its internal layout and its nicely big toroid.

Thank you very much again.
Kind regards,

beppe

Attachments

• a500 internal1.jpg
    a500 internal1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 9,011
I have been looking at EP1500 as well as it gets good reviews.
It is considered as a clone of the QSC RMX 1450 for which you can find the schematics here : http://www.qscaudio.com/support/library/schems/rmx1450.zip

The only issue for me would be the fan but if you don't need a lot of power on average, it might be possible to use a slower and less noisy fan.

I was also looking at the A500 as a potential for DIY project.
Upgrading the capacitors, changing some electrolitycs and eventually replacing the power pcb. But I would like to konw a little bit more beforeI jump on it.

To try answer your question on transformer rating, just based on the diameter (around 6 inches), I would expect this transformer to be in the 500 VA range.

JLD

derouineau said:
I have been looking at EP1500 as well as it gets good reviews.
It is considered as a clone of the QSC RMX 1450 for which you can find the schematics here : http://www.qscaudio.com/support/library/schems/rmx1450.zip

From previous posts here it's not just a clone, but EXACTLY the same amplifier (even same numbers on the PCB's) - presumably both QSC and Behringer buy them from the same original Chinese manufacturer?.

A quick google finds the QSC for sale at $429 and the Behringer at $279 (on the same site) - I know which I'd buy! :smash:

derouineau said:

1) I have been looking at EP1500 as well as it gets good reviews.
2) The only issue for me would be the fan but if you don't need a lot of power on average, it might be possible to use a slower and less noisy fan.
3) I was also looking at the A500 as a potential for DIY project.
Upgrading the capacitors, changing some electrolitycs and eventually replacing the power pcb.
But I would like to konw a little bit more beforeI jump on it.
4) To try answer your question on transformer rating, just based on the diameter (around 6 inches), I would expect this transformer to be in the 500 VA range.
JLD

Dear Sir,
thank you vey much again.
1) Actually your words confirm my info about the EP1500.
I read in a "Magneplanarists" forum that this amp has remarkable "driving abilities" and good overall sound.
2) The fan noise is indeed an issue. It has a 24Vdc power supply, unfortunately different from 12 Vdc standard for PC.
Anyway I think it is possible to slow it down with a suitable resistor or replace it with a less noisy unit.
The transformer should be at least 800 VA, a nice one.
As I said a high VA transformer is a must for me.
3) I hear that Behringer does not provide service manuals of its products (unforunately).
It should be very difficult to find the schematics.
4) Thank you for the info.
I hoped more. I am a little worried about a only 500 VA rating.
Actually my first mod would be, if it were possible, the replacement of the transfomer with another one more powerful of at least 800 VA (better two 500VA/each space allowing), hoping that in the circuit there are no current limiting devices/circuits of course.

I will come back to this 3D quite often because I am very interested in this unit if the transformer is replaceable.

Thnak you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe

Nigel Goodwin said:

1) From previous posts here it's not just a clone, but EXACTLY the same amplifier (even same numbers on the PCB's) - presumably both QSC and Behringer buy them from the same original Chinese manufacturer?.
2) A quick google finds the QSC for sale at $429 and the Behringer at $279 (on the same site) -
I know which I'd buy! :smash:

Dear Mr. Goodwin,

thank you very much for your interesting infos.
1) This is a very fundamental point. If the two units are really identical one would pay a premium price for the brand mark on the case.
I seem to remember that the PCB colours were not the same.
It could be that the unit manufactured for QSC has a better quality control procedure ?
2) Yes. I understand. Nevertheless I am still not sure that the two units are 100% equal.

By the way the unit that interests me most is the A500.
But while I know that the EP1500 can drive quite well even demanding loads I am not so sure about the A500.

Thank you sincerely and kind regards,

beppe

In the end I bought an A500.
Overall a very nice amp for the price (180 euro).
I have pushed it with my Dynaudio speakers and found that at mid to high level the amp strains and the sound become thin and compressed.
Sign of a limited current delivery at some point.
To be honest I have to say that my speakers are demanding in terms of needed current from the amp.
Looking inside and I see a quite big (about 600VA ?) mains transformer (regulation ?), 4 small filter caps (3300uF/100V) of unknown quality and discrete diodes bridge of 6A on each PCB (one per channel).
Do anyone own the schematic?
I strongly think that the first mod should adress the diodes bridge (with something like a 25A units) and the too small filter caps (4X10.000uF of good quality could help).
But I have to find the schematic first.

Kind regards,

beppe

Nigel Goodwin said:

From previous posts here it's not just a clone, but EXACTLY the same amplifier (even same numbers on the PCB's) - presumably both QSC and Behringer buy them from the same original Chinese manufacturer?.

A quick google finds the QSC for sale at $429 and the Behringer at $279 (on the same site) - I know which I'd buy! :smash:

Hmmm.... Do they buy also their effect pedals from the same Chinese manufacturer Roland buys from?

Nigel Goodwin said:

I have both the QSC and the Behringer EP amps and can say they are NOT the same.
Close and, the EP is a very nice amp for the money but, it's no QSC.

Originally posted by danielm

I have both the QSC and the Behringer EP amps and can say they are NOT the same
Excuse me, which models are you referring at ?
I suppose QSC RMX 1450 e Behringer EP 1500.
From what I understand, they are the same design built with different parts (QSC has higher VA trasformer and better quality components. A better amp actually because these components give an important contribution to sound).
Close and, the EP is a very nice amp for the money but, it's no QSC
I believe that the last series of Behringer amps have exceptionally high quality/price ratio.
By the way I own a Behringer A500 that should be a "clone" of the Qsc RMX 850 (?) and also of the Alesis RA300, the latter a amp recommended by the Audio Physiscs speakers designer,
Joachim Gerhard, here

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_ec.htm

A very valuable advice I believe.

Thanks and kind regards,

beppe

I was referring to the QSC RMX2450 and the "B" EP2500. These are the models we use.

Design is the same... yes. It is not EXACTLY the same amp as someone posted earlier.

I'm not knocking the EP amps. They sound fine and fill the duties of any amp within their price range.

Next time I have a RMX and an EP out of the racks I'll pull the covers and take some pics of the inside of each amp.

danielm said:

I was referring to the QSC RMX2450 and the "B" EP2500. These are the models we use.
Design is the same... yes.
It is not EXACTLY the same amp as someone posted earlier.
I'm not knocking the EP amps.
They sound fine and fill the duties of any amp within their price range.
Next time I have a RMX and an EP out of the racks I'll pull the covers and take some pics of the inside of each amp.

Thank you very much Sir for the very valuable information.
Actually I feel that a lot of manufacturers have implemented the very same designs with components of different qualities.
By the way the basic deisgns seem very good indeed.
I can say that the A500, for its price, is a very good amp indeed.
And of course QSC amps are better built with better components and of course placed at a higher cost.
The choice is up to the customer, as usual.
Another brand using same designs is Tapco I think.
Good build quality. If you search this site you will find some 3D talking about Tapco amps.
Thank you very much again.

Kind regards,

beppe

Patrik Floding said:
Hi Art!
I would never clone such as cheap amp.
I was thinking of buying one and cranking up the idle current to fix the crossover distortion problem. But only if it can be done.. ;-)
Feel free to elaborate on the lack of quality of the A500!
Rgds

Dear Mr Floding,
I am an owner of a A500.
I would be extremely grateful if you will report your results in case you will crank-up the bias.
Nevertheless I read the test report of a magazine and the distortion figures were very good across the whole audio bandwidth up to about 140W on 4 ohm resistive load.
Where did you find of this crossover distortion problem ?
Of course please feel free to e-mail any time.

Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.