Behringer A500 as a DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nigel Goodwin said:
You don't think then that the QSC amp is designed and built in exactly the same factory as the Behrigner one then? - I would strongly suspect it is!.

Yes Sir, I believe so as well.
Maybe two lines of the same design, aimed at different price targets.
Anyway the A500 looks quite well built, considering its very low price.
I can say nothing about its quality but the transformer in particular looks like a 600VA "onion" (!).
Kind regards,

beppe

beppe61 said:

I correct my words.

Anyway the A500 looks quite well built, considering its very low price.
The transformer in particular looks like a 600VA (!) thing.
By the way I can say nothing about its quality.
It could be a "fake" 600 Watter ....
I am sure that QSC toroids are very good and substantial instead.
And this is an important piece in an amp after all.

Kind regards,
beppe

This item from ebay was a modified A500. These mods were listed (no I didn't buy it):

1. Additional filter caps (original amp has only 6600uf per channel, I have added on 28,000uf each channel...that is like 4 times more) so that there is more raw power when it is playing in high levels.

2. There are 2 op-amps in each channel. They are for receiving balance signal, converting them into single path for volume control. Behringer uses JRC4558 with a slew rate of only 1V/us. I have changed all op-amp in both channel to Burr Brown OPA2134. OPA2134 has slew rate of 20V/us, wider bandwidth (8Mhz), and lower noise. The result is quieter, faster and clearer high ends.

3. Changed input electrolytic caps to audio grade caps. These caps are in sigal path, so they should be of high quality. I used Nichicon audio caps and Philips MKP.

I feel some improvements should be gained by "cleaning" the single ended path (i.e. bypassing op-amps, volume controls and even -if possible- coupling caps) and using only this as input.
I would replace the main power supply caps with bigger and better quality ones as well.
As usual, the main problem is with the available space on the pcbs.
The original caps are small in diameter (26 mm) and there are components all around them limiting the space free on the pcb.
This I do not understand.
Much better would be main caps short and large with the possibility to put at least 20.000-30.000uF/channel, a reasonable amount in general.
I believe that a little more attention in the design could have brought a nice step-up in performance, with a small cost.

Regards,

bg

QSC and Bheringer Manufacture locations

QSC is made and assembled in the USA. In California to be precise. This isformation is avaliable on their website.

Bheringer is made in China along with Tapico/Makie/Loud Technologies.

Every QSC that I have ever had the pleasure of working with has always been loud, proud and sounded awesome.

Every Bheringer I have ever worked with sounded good at low volumes but when the party actually got started that's when they quit.

Tapico is a subsidary of Makie which is a subdisdary of Loud Technoligies, Inc. The SRM450's that they produce in China don't produce the wonderful sound that the ones made in Italy do. They seem to be just as durable though. However, if you are looking for a powered sub, look elsewhere than the SWA1501 and the SWA 1801. They seem to have a defect in the amplifiers on these units that overheat and fry the voice coils in their resident speaker all at the same time. I say this because I have had 9 come from the factory on warranty for each one of each, the SWA1501 and SWA1801, model failed within 2 hours of use. If you want a powered subwoofer or an amplifier that you can depend on, QSC is the best way to go.

So for those of you what want to think that Bheringer and QSC come from the same plant, think again, they DON'T!

That's why when I decide to change my mains, I'll go with the QSC HPR powered series.

It may be so, it may not, certainly what it says on the website (fairly vaguely) doesn't really prove it.

You might try looking at the instruction manual at http://www.qscaudio.com/pdfs/manuals/RMX_User_Manual.pdf which is in FOUR languages, yet the safety precautions and explanation of symbols at the back is in FIVE languages, the last being in Kanji, presumably Chinese?.

Rather strange, an 'American made' amplifier having an extra page in Chinese? :D

I have the schematics for the QSC and The behringer Power amps, and have trace them through the circuitry. Exactly the same! They may or may not be produced in the same factory but they share the same schematic. The Qsc probably has better components. Thats about it!

There is probably some QSC salesman around...

This topic has already been discused in some thread, and I think that that pictures of both amplifiers were compared.

If my memory doesn't fail, the Behringer EP series are actually improved versions of the unrealiable RMX design that were released after QSC discontinued RMX. One of the improvements consists in replacing the crappy SMD that the RMX had in the main board by standard through hole parts (it was subject to strong thermal cycles and mechanical stress and very prone to failure)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.