peavey amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I looked at the schematic and it's really no use to scan it. I can hardly read the original.
However, you diode is probably CR140 or CR240 if mounted on/in the heatsink and the original part number is 13886.
It's a diode consisting of two series diodes in one housing.
I recall replacing it with two 1N4007 in series for testing and it worked. I don't recommend this as a good repair. Try to get the original if you want to do a proper job.

/Hugo

Hi, I have a PDF version of the schematic.
If you like to have it, ask.
It's not of a superior quality but usable.
I have an 8.5C in repair to.
The complete drive and power stage of one channel was gone.
Most of the parts are easy to get apart from some like CR145 (SBS14)
I'm waiting for some parts and then see if it's working again.
Cheers,
Zilog

Hi,
the only MJE15031 is Q103 and 203.
MJE15030 - Power 8A 150V PLA NPN. MJE15031 idem but PNP.
To do a reliable test on this tor, remove it from the board.

I had a similar problem and found that all power transistors were gone. It even burned a hole in the pcb.
The surounding parts were burned to.

It's best to check all the powertransistors if they are good.
Check the power resistors to as they probably are all open.
I would advise, now that you're bussy, check all the prodrivers to from that channel. The diodes to in the driver board and the power board.
It's a lot of work but worth it.

I hate smoke and fire to come out of a repair that's been done quick-quick.
Take your time...
Zilog

Fellow
Peavey is a very customer friendly company, and they will send you the drawings. Request them at parts@peavey.com

The schematics are large pages, not easy to scan, so getting the pdfs from them is better than asking for a scan from us. Plus the drawing set includes detailed parts lists as well as layout drawings.

You can also call 601-483-5365 and go to PARTS. Call first thing in the morning to avaoid sittin on hold in line.

Peavey will sell you any parts for their stuff. Their prices are not outrageous, though they will be a lot less at Allied or Mouser. I buy most of my large MJ series transistors from Allied.

As someone said, MJE15030 (or MJE15032) is NPN, while MJE15031 (or MJE15033) is PNP

IMPORTANT - in this application do not mix types. Make all your NPNs the same as one another. This applies to the output transistors as well.

I don't know about their web site, but the PV part number for MJE15031 is 70415033. (They no longer use the 15031, they use the higher spec 15033 in its place.)

Get that dual diode from PV. I also will use two 1N4007 in series for it during test, but its whole point in life is to thermally track with the outputs, so you want the real part in there when the amp is returned to operation.

Please do check all the output transistors and the cement power resistors associated with them. And before taking anything apart, measure resistance between the output and ground (between the speaker binding posts.) PV uses a triac across the output that fires when it detects DC. When the channel blows up, this triac shorts out. On any PV solid state amp, always check for shorted output triac this way. This circuit is called a crowbar, and it keeps your speakers from catching fire when the amp fails. If the triac is shorted, you can measure that across the speaker terminals. The amp will run without this protection part, so you can leave it out during test, but I would not send the amp out without one.

That little sbs14 I think is the silicon switch that switches on the triac gate. In the last 20 years doing authorized Peavey repair work, I have never seen a bad one. That would be a most unusual failure. Make sure a shorted triac connected to it is not just making it look bad.

Any part associated with the blown transistor can be damaged, so check them all. ANd check all the resistors associated with the burnt transistors. If I recall there is also a 180 ohm resistor on the output transistor board that connects the bases together. That is the base string on the positive side and the base string on the negative side are connected thgrough the 180 ohms. SO if there are bad outputs, check this resistor too.

Get a nice fresh real schematic from PV, it will make life much easier.

Where are you? My shop is in Lansing:
Shiawassee Technical
517-882-2544

peavey

enzo
sorry that i have not got back to you i was just sent home from the
hospital had a heart attack had two stents put in not fun
i am 50 miles west and 100 miles north of you. i am not to familer with
this ampe i did get the papers from peavey if you could tell me which
item numbers to check i will try to get to it asap
thanks
ron

Hello :D

I need some peavey's schematics and the site writes this :
(see support --> FAQ)

Owner’s manuals and spec sheets that are not available on our
web site may be obtained by mail (via check or money order) or by
phone (via credit card).
Spec sheets and schematics are $2.50 per copy, and owner’s
manuals are $7.50 (paperback) and $20 (notebook).

Send Check/Money Order to:
Peavey Electronics Parts Department
PO Box 2898
Meridian, MS 39302

Credit Card orders by phone:
1-877-732-8391

This applies to U.S. and Canadian residents only.
Customers outside the U.S. and Canada should contact their nearest Peavey distributor.

my problem is that they don't send toward Italy ... :bawling:
and naturally the European distributor doesn't have time to
lose with schematics ... :dead:

every suggestion is very appreciated.
Thanks !

Thanks for your interest !!!
74.gif

And Thanks to Tarzan for his Italian answres ! :D

in effects to write in English i use the translator ... :rolleyes:
http://standard.beta.amikai.com/amitext/indexUTF8.jsp

and it can sometimes happen some big mistake ! :xeye:

greetings to everybody ! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.