I need a simple ss reverb for a ss guitar amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would you know of some reverb circuits that do not use springs?

I guess you can always go digital and look for IC's that are designed for the job, there should be plenty of them. I don't know about any circuits but i guess they become less simple since you have to have at least an oscillator or crystal circuit, ADC, the reverb IC or ICs and a DAC. I bet you will find some information from chip datasheets though, many manufacturers like to publish circuits in them to further sales. However, these chips have a bad tendency to become obsolete very quickly.

Some reportedly good sounding "circuits" have been built to sound proofed enclosures. The signal is fed through a tube (or any other reverberating piece) and the reverberated sound is recorded at the other end of it. These designs usually have a metallic sound and the acoustics play a very important role in creating a pleasing tone.

You could also build a plate reverb with quite similar way: Hang some metal sheets inside a (large) enclosure, make them resonate (for example with a speaker) and record the outcome. Dry signal can be filtered away from the output with some careful phasing. This approach needs a quite powerful amplifier to drive the resonator device and a huge box. They will also be quite heavy, which is nothing new for plate reverbs. With a little searching i guess you could find some examples of projects similar to my descriptions.

Is there a particular reason why you do not want to use a spring? In my opinion it's the most ideal reverb device for guitars and probably will even end up being less expensive than all the hassle of building a digital circuit.

Teemu K

yeto said:
Would you know of some reverb circuits that do not use springs?

If you look hard through some published schematics, you can probably find one that uses an analog bucket-brigade chip that you will still be able to buy. This is one area that digital has taken over completely, and you will probably be able to buy some kind of digital delay with reverb function for far less than you could build an analog version with poorer performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.