ACOUSTIC guitar driver/cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RKH said:
All,
I'm looking for advice selecting a low-power (< 15 Watts) driver and cabinet (plans, I'll build) for an acoustic guitar set up.

What music do you play? There is a bit difference in how to go if you play acoustic or solo music with it and want that characteristic tone, or if you want something that fits in well for gigging.

acoustic style

The music I like to attempt to play is mostly fingerstyle, acoustic blues, flatpicking fiddle tunes etc. Mostly for my own gratification and jamming with friends, no serious intent to gig with the system.

Thanks for thinking about the question.

Ryan

Hiya,

if you like to play percussively, I wouldn't go too small with the driver ( although Trace Elliot seem OK:D ).
Eminence beta 8's are cheap and ok, maybe add a piezo if too dull.
I use Eminence kappapro 10s plus the apt80 tweeters in a 20 litre ported box- heavy but tiny by PA standards and they go plenty loud.

The simplest answer maybe one of the coaxials, eminence or otherwise; see what suits your budget.

Re: hardware...

RKH said:
Though, I guess I'd prefer that the driver choice is independent of the guitar to some extent. No doubt I'll not stay with this particular guitar forever.

Well, based on what you are saying, I think it should be pretty easy, just put a 10" or 12" speaker in an open backed cabinet and you are done. It should give a nice sound for acoustic blues, and be useful in the future.

I would Celestion if $$$ acceptable, Eminence if not.

Variac said:
Is it possible that he would be better off with a more audiophoile speaker since he is using an acoustic guitar? Maybe that Eminence beta 12" with the whizzer cone?

Yes, the higher end commercial acoustic guitar amps (for acoustic music) are usually 2 way or such, and look more like a PA cab than an electric guitar cab. If I were to DIY that I would just be looking at PA designs.

But there also are 1 way commercial acoustic guitar amps.

It comes down to player preference and style of music.

I think the speaker should be clean and neutral up to as loud as you want to go. Use your preamp/pedal/effects rack for making it sound nice. Design it as a PA speaker; this leaves you the option of running vocals or backing thru it if the mood takes you.

If you start with a 'guitar' speaker it might sound nice for woody blues, but you'll never get sparkling highs or a natural acustic tone.

Thanks to all for the comments.

What does one get if one builds a cabinet designed around the thiel-small parameters for one of the popular (Eminence, Celestion, etc.) "guitar" drivers? PA speaker-esqe?

Does a simple open-back cabinet have little to no impact on the sound?

It seems relatively straight forward to read the claimed tonal quality of these guitar drivers and make a decision based on that. But none of them recommend a cabinet (unless you follow the PA route.)

Further Comments?

Cheers.

RKH said:

Does a simple open-back cabinet have little to no impact on the sound?

If you check again the previously pointed Elliot article you will notice low end tends to be limited, vented boxes avoided, an colouration looked for as it is not the case for musical reproduction. Open back boxes are fairly standard.

Rodolfo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.