Will This Blow Up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to put together a few circuits from various amps into a toy for my brothers 40th Bday.

Using junk I have laying around,And Limited budget for this project, My Question Is Simple Will "THIS" Blow Up?

Are there any huge fundamental mistakes?

Edit: Oh,, I left out the preamp tube,, Its a 12AX7A rca orange label(60s)

This is supposed to be a guitar amp, But hey,, might even be better with some input.
Gene

One thing immediately jumps out: the 1K resistor in the power supply feed to the output tube. Why such a high value? If the output stage idles at 40 ma, you'll be dropping 40 volts across it (and, incidently well exceeding the 1W rating).

And do you really want a 15K bias resistor in the first stage? If I were you, I'd steal plate/cathode resistor values from the tube handbook.

SY said:
One thing immediately jumps out: the 1K resistor in the power supply feed to the output tube. Why such a high value? If the output stage idles at 40 ma, you'll be dropping 40 volts across it (and, incidently well exceeding the 1W rating).

And do you really want a 15K bias resistor in the first stage? If I were you, I'd steal plate/cathode resistor values from the tube handbook.

Yawn,, I've been trying to post the updated schematic for about an Hr,, But our FTP things acting up tonite,, I'll post it tomorrow.

The 10 ohm 1 watt is actually a 10 ohm 5 watt. Though a 10 watt might be better. I posted prior to correcting the value. Optionally, I had planned on a choke in place of the 1K resistor. Just to clean up the sound if necessary.

As far as the 15K bias resistor on the 1st preamp stage. That value is borrowed from this cute little Preamp project I had built earlier this winter. The McTube by Fred Nachbaur.
His article is located Here

Cute little thing works very well, I though It would be starting point on this project.
Gene

Cloning a Fender isn't a bad idea!

OK, you're unlikely to smoke the power supply now. There may be more hum than you'd like, though, depending on the sensitivity of the speaker. Do be careful about stray capacitances- the 1M series resistor off the preamp plate ought to be placed as physically close to its load as possible.

SY said:
Cloning a Fender isn't a bad idea!

OK, you're unlikely to smoke the power supply now. There may be more hum than you'd like, though, depending on the sensitivity of the speaker. Do be careful about stray capacitances- the 1M series resistor off the preamp plate ought to be placed as physically close to its load as possible.

Welp,,
I'll know more by maybe monday night, Last night in a burst of energy, I stuffed most of this into a re-used 6 1/4 X 6 1/4 X 2 chassis. Tight fit indeed.

Mind you EVERYTHING in this project came from box lots I purchased at an estate auction. Caps, Resistors,Sockets,Pots nib,
Everything LOL, Even a pair of vintage 70s Utah/Musicman 12 inch speakers.

My biggest worry was melting down the OPT. Everything I had previously looked at used a 5000 ohm primary. When I started this project all I had were 2 of 2500 ohm units.
I ordered the fender replacement and got it yesterday,along with a nice little PP Tranny rated up to 25 or so watts.( next project).

Thank you so much for all of your inputs, I'll get more pictures up soon I hope.
Gene

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.