Using KT88 to build a monster champ amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
Hi All,

Long time no post. I'm gearing up to build myself a guitar amp and 2x12 extension cabinet for my personal use and I would like some opinions. I had originally planned on building the Fender 5F2 circuit (Champ) for my amplifier needs but then I thought I would change the ouput tube to a EL34 for a little more power. Then I thought I would use a KT88 for a lot more power. The output transformer from Allen Amplification will handle 90mA so I would have to run the KT88 somewhat cold but I should be able to get a solid 7 watts out of it or so. The real thing is what would this amp sound like with a 5F2 tone stack and a KT88 as the output tube. The speakers are going to be two 12" alnico speakers from a old Magnavox console. They are meant for low power tube amps so they should work great. Opinions? Anyone ever tried this? Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.