Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Advice on cab finish?
Advice on cab finish?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2021, 12:51 AM   #11
phase is online now phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be cautious mixing brands of glue, they can have differences in their solvents that can lead to bad results.

This was a mock-up built for the purpose of gaining a contract that has so far realized $195 billion in revenue.
I was chosen to design and build this in a very short time, and that adhesive #*~+ up was the only hitch.

After my experience, I contacted 3M, who’s chemists told me to basically never to mix anything else with their specific adhesive that I was using. So unless you know for certain…
Old 21st October 2021, 03:17 AM   #12
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricadetabaco View Post
Yes glue is a topic of its own I guess. Do you know any such forums? I have been googling quite a bit but struggle to find anything sensible. Talk-bass had some.
1) state your Country
Suggestions vary A LOT depending on where you are.

2) use solvent based contact cement, the kind you buy in a 4 liter can and apply with a fine toothed spatula/notched trowel.
You can use a medium sized short hard bristle brush to apply it to inside corners , along internal mounting cleats, etc. where trowel is impractical, but immediately after use wet it with solvent.
I keep my brushes inside cylindrical cookie tins with 1 cm or two of solvent at the bottom, metal is best barrier against evaporation, plastic is porous to Toluene/Xylene.

Forget water/"green"/"ecological" type adhesives.

Follow manufacturer´s instructions,including timing, ambient temperature and humidity, ventilated space but avoid drafts and sunlight, etc.

3) it´s a good idea to also buy a small can (250-500 cc) of factory recommended cement solvent to clean tools, spills, etc.

4) I suggest this brand, unless unavailable in your Country,Mother Company is British (EVO STIK):

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Small World, I am NOW tolexing 2 Keyboard amplifier cabinets, go figure.

Over 14000 so far.

Last edited by JMFahey; 21st October 2021 at 03:32 AM.
Old 21st October 2021, 10:37 AM   #13
MikePP is offline MikePP
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Small World, I am NOW tolexing 2 Keyboard amplifier cabinets, go figure.

Over 14000 so far.

That's not bad out of one tin
Old 21st October 2021, 08:07 PM   #14
fabricadetabaco is offline fabricadetabaco
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input here, it seems I just need to find the faux leather and follow instructions with glue, read read read. I’ll check all those links. Thanks again.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:55 PM   #15
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePP View Post
That's not bad out of one tin
You should have seen the size of the BRUSH!

Advice on cab finish?Hide this!Advertise here!