Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Carbon composition resistors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2021, 06:43 AM   #1
campsquire is offline campsquire  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Carbon composition resistors

I've noticed most amp build kits come equipped with carbon composition resistors, you know, the brown base color tubular resistors with hard edged ends. I have two Fender amps from the 60s that use such and not a single resistor in them hasn't drifted 20% high or more in value. I realize the circuits are forgiving and even a 150k in the plate rather than a 100k is going to work, but I just can't bring myself to use carbon comps in a new build.
Do you know something about recent issue carbon comps that I don't know?
Old 3rd April 2021, 04:13 PM   #2
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I would just use normal (carbon or metal film) resistors.

Nothing special about cabon comps.
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:11 PM   #3
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

I would not even say "most amp build kits" supply CC; even if we limit to "tube gutiar amps". Is that really true? I have not done a rigorous count/survey but I see a lot of carbon film.
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:19 PM   #4
MarcelvdG is online now MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If I'm not mistaken, carbon composition resistors are better at handling temporary overloads than carbon film and metal film. They also have much more 1/f noise. No idea why anyone would want to use them in a new build, except maybe at places where large temporary overloads are to be expected.
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:13 PM   #5
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

It'S just an acquired taste, I think. Guitar players love the sound of their old gear as it presents itself now, as the result of all the deviations in resistor values etc. And the folks don't know how their amps sounded when they were new. So they're not familiar with the sound of an amplifier with new conponents and simply prefer what they know. Hence they believe that amplifiers have to contain composition resistors for good sound.
Best regards!
Old 7th April 2021, 01:34 PM   #6
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

If anything, my preference is metal film for input stages, where I want minimum noise. Carbon film is okay especially once the signal has been amplified to where the resistors doesn't contribute as much noise..but if you don't mind spending more go metal film.
Old 7th April 2021, 09:27 PM   #7
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
If I'm not mistaken, carbon composition resistors are better at handling temporary overloads than carbon film and metal film. They also have much more 1/f noise. No idea why anyone would want to use them in a new build, except maybe at places where large temporary overloads are to be expected.

The problem with a resistor withstanding a large temporary overload is that some more expensive component is then likely to fail, or overheat. Having the resistor act like a fuse is perhaps the cheaper failure mode.
Old 7th April 2021, 09:49 PM   #8
MarcelvdG is online now MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Carbon film resistors typically get a lower resistance when they are massively overloaded, wirewound resistors typically go open circuit, I don't know about other types. In any case, you need a special fusible resistor if you want to be sure it goes open circuit.
  Reply to this post

Carbon composition resistorsHide this!Advertise here!