Carbon composition resistors

I've noticed most amp build kits come equipped with carbon composition resistors, you know, the brown base color tubular resistors with hard edged ends. I have two Fender amps from the 60s that use such and not a single resistor in them hasn't drifted 20% high or more in value. I realize the circuits are forgiving and even a 150k in the plate rather than a 100k is going to work, but I just can't bring myself to use carbon comps in a new build.
Do you know something about recent issue carbon comps that I don't know?

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm not mistaken, carbon composition resistors are better at handling temporary overloads than carbon film and metal film. They also have much more 1/f noise. No idea why anyone would want to use them in a new build, except maybe at places where large temporary overloads are to be expected.

It'S just an acquired taste, I think. Guitar players love the sound of their old gear as it presents itself now, as the result of all the deviations in resistor values etc. And the folks don't know how their amps sounded when they were new. So they're not familiar with the sound of an amplifier with new conponents and simply prefer what they know. Hence they believe that amplifiers have to contain composition resistors for good sound.
Best regards!

If anything, my preference is metal film for input stages, where I want minimum noise. Carbon film is okay especially once the signal has been amplified to where the resistors doesn't contribute as much noise..but if you don't mind spending more go metal film.

If I'm not mistaken, carbon composition resistors are better at handling temporary overloads than carbon film and metal film. They also have much more 1/f noise. No idea why anyone would want to use them in a new build, except maybe at places where large temporary overloads are to be expected.

The problem with a resistor withstanding a large temporary overload is that some more expensive component is then likely to fail, or overheat. Having the resistor act like a fuse is perhaps the cheaper failure mode.

Recently I happened to find some Carbon comp resistors 1/2W rated, I wanted to use them in P3A amplifier circuit from Rod Elliott
Here is the schematic of P3A, R9 and R10 ( which are part of bootstrap)are the resistors I have questions about, will there be any problem with using these resistors,like noise and stability.
P3A.gif WhatsApp Image 2023-08-18 at 17.21.08.jpg WhatsApp Image 2023-08-18 at 17.21.10.jpg

Yes. Carbon composition (or ceramic substitutes) have a higher pulse rating. Used in eg high voltage power supplies where excessive voltage / current may be experienced eg when an arc occurs. fwiw there are major supply chain issues with CC resistors atm with various sources withdrawing production.

Hello.

I have looked at Mouser lately and they are running low on their carbon composition resistor stock.
Plus, they identify their label limited range of products as 'end of life'.

Bought plenty of carbon composition resistors from Mouser these last years (Kayama, Ohmite and others), since I prefer to use them in signal paths in tube amps (please folks don't start-it's a hobby).

But lately it seems that sources are drying-up fast.
And likely it'll be harder and harder to come by as new items in the near future.
They were getting expensive lately compared to other types, but still affordable.

If manufacturers like Kayama, Ohmite and TE Connectivity phase them out, will they go extinct?
Apart from Mouser everywhere else they go for much higher prices and are mostly NOS/used.

Did a quick search and noticed there is still a manufacturer (in China) that list them it their products - JDC Resistors (never heard of them before).
However, never seen them on sale and it seems they are impossible to get online.

By the way, are these ceramic composition resistors anything like the classic carbon comps?
They seems to replace them in their application, but are they of similar construction?
Do they employ carbon as conductive medium in their mysterious ceramic composition?

I have looked at Mouser lately and they are running low on their carbon composition resistor stock.
Carbon comps has been the lowest quality resistor to build with. They are only used in tube gear because back then there were no choices for high voltage resistors.

For that tone after hiss subtraction, the more safer ones are carbon film. They don't catch on fire. That is why all those have gone to surplus.

I use different ones and in combinations too. But my favorite in the cathode circuit is these type: https://mou.sr/48o5cED