Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Pros and Cons of buying a tube amp kit, vs. buying parts separately
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2020, 10:32 PM   #11
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

>Since I am so into woodworking, I think I might try to reach out to Stew Mac to see if they will sell me their amp kit, without the cabinet and chassis.

They have an open position for director of manufacturing, 1/2 of which is their wood shop. That'd be one way to get the amp kit w/o cabinet/chassis ;')
Old 30th November 2020, 01:28 AM   #12
Dolmetscher007 is offline Dolmetscher007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
>They have an open position for director of manufacturing, 1/2 of which is their wood shop. That'd be one way to get the amp kit w/o cabinet/chassis ;')
I've heard Athens, OH is a really cool college town. Don't tempt me! Ha ha! I'd move to Athens to work for Stew Mac in a heart beat. I'm sure it would be a massive pay cut, but the savings on gear might just balance it out. :-)
Old 30th November 2020, 05:25 PM   #13
indianajo is online now indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

triodelectronics.com has a couple of instrument tube amp kits for $680 with tubes, but no case or speaker. They have others at $730 and $875. TUBE AMP KITS - 5E3, ST70, JTM45, MORE!!!
Old 1st December 2020, 01:49 AM   #14
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

The $1000 kit is cheap. Do it yourself and you pick up extra parts 'just in case' for te next one. You learn more and find parts that are a bit better than you had and at a not bad price so you pick them up. Soon you have $2000 worth of parts for multiple amps but you have no time to build them.

Not saying how I know.
Old 10th December 2020, 02:14 PM   #15
Flavious Maximus is offline Flavious Maximus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Trinity Amps seems to have good prices. From $393 to $730 USD.

Kits | Trinity Amps
Old 16th December 2020, 08:52 PM   #16
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Fender et al (and their offshore partners) buy parts by the *thousands* at least. They've spent many whole days over the years hammering-down bulk purchase contracts.
THAT.

Real World example:
Here in Argentina I pay U$15 for a 12AX7 tube.
That if itīs not a "brand" one such as JJ or Groove Tubes, etc. in which case it might reach U$25.

Fender/Marshall/etc. buy theirs in China from 1.50 to 2.50U$ each, in bulk.

Hey, the Chinese will sell *me* 1000 12AX7 for about U$25000 FOB , then itīs on me the shipping (very cheap coming as consolidated cargo, meaning renting space inside a container, I would never ever use Mail or a Courier for that) and "nationalizing" it (Customs, Tax, etc.) which again is some money but divided by 1000 comes down to cents per tube.

Pros and Cons of buying a tube amp kit, vs. buying parts separatelyHide this!Advertise here!