2x EL84 Fixed-Bias beyond 400V, anyone tried this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yep those breadboards aren't the right choice for this work but after all it does work fine, some oscillations on the treble channel at high volume though, but for testing i guess is ok

The voltage drop over R1 (now 1K) is V4 (now 425 V) minus the sreengrid voltage (300 V) = 25 V. So the current through R1 = 25 / 1000 = 25 mA.

The voltage drop over R5 (22K) is 300 V - 273 V = 27 V. So the current through R5 = 27 / 22000 = 1.23 mA (which seems too low for the three 12AX7's that follow).

This would mean that the two screen grids of the EL84's are taking 25 mA - 1.23 mA = 23.77 mA. So each screen grid is taking about 11.89 mA. So the screen grid dissipation per EL84 is 0.0119 x 300 V = 3.57 Watt (well over Pg2 max, and just under Pg2 max peak).

If you look at datasheets for the EL84, a screen grid current at 300 V of almost 12 mA per EL84 at idle is way too high. It should be something like not more than 2 mA.

did you used a specific formula or just ohms law? i'm curious, my math has been rusty since quarantine began

Although, if the plate current is low so also the screens? the circuit at idle is 20mA, 70% bias.

At peak values, to measure how much the screen voltage drops on heavy loads i measured them with a sine wave input and an ac voltmeter with the + on one and the - on the other, it gave me 50-ish volts peak to peak, also measured the DC value and substracted it giving me a value close to 300v(360-50=310V ),

how i can measure the current i don't know, but ltspice is my friend, but i assume if those values are on the margin, and if all seems to match with the ltspice results, everything will be ok... althrough i could be wrong.

thanks for all the replies guys

At $45-60-80, the Russian tube might be cheaper. But I do have a few collecting dust.

W3aWUgD.jpg

red plating and beating the crap out of tubes, yet Tubelab is nowhere to be seen, where is he?

Still glowing......and extracting 300 watts from a single pair of tubes! See post #25 here:

If UNSET and the RCA50W Had a Baby

I have spent much of my time outdoors while the weather is still nice. Computer time has been spent on laying out a board for that big amp....the goal is 500 WPC. I turned 68 years old recently. I need to build the big amp before I'm to old to move it!

I have not read all of this thread, but I built one of my SPP boards at least 10 years ago that made just over 30 WPC from a pair of "Baldwin" branded Sylvania 6BQ5 tubes on 430 volts of B+. No red plating or glowing grids were seen.

As the name suggests the tubes were sourced from the amplifier in an organ pulled out of a church, where it likely got used once or twice a week for 30+ years. That amp was still working with the same tubes in it when I left Florida. As stated B+ was 430 volts, The OPT was 6600 ohms, and the screen grid voltage was much lower, maybe 250 to 300 volts, I don't remember and I no longer have the amp.

When I built it I tried a lot of different 6BQ5 / EL84 type tubes. Many either red plated or had the glowing grid of death. Most old 6BQ5 tubes worked, as did some JJ EL84's. Other new production stuff didn't like it.

Attachments

• P3730366_x.jpg
    P3730366_x.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 73
  • P3730343_x.jpg
    P3730343_x.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 73
If you are referring to the 250 watt test amp, the OPT is rated for 1250 ohms, but I had the 8 ohm load on the 4 ohm tap for 2500 ohms at the tubes. In the final 500 WPC design either 4 or 6 tubes will look into 1250 ohms.

Over 10 years ago I squeezed 525 watts out of similar OPT's with 4 X 35LR6 tubes on 650 volts of B+. That experiment is in post #438 of this thread:

Posted new P-P power amp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.