Orange dual dark 50 / 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Taken from Orange amps .com -- question-
Is there a schematic for the dual dark 100? The "B" preamp seems to be the dark terror preamp, is the TMB preamp the same as the OR15? And of course what about he power section? Any info would be wonderful especially a schematic. Thank you.

Answer-
Orange will only give schematics to qualified service techs. No schematics of that amp I've seen anywhere here. The power section most definitely is not from the Terror series amps

When I worked at a music store, someone called the shop and asked me for advice about his organ amp, and I suggested he check his plate voltages. A few moments later, he called and asked "The plate is that metal thing the amp bolts to, right?" Right then we established a no schematics policy.

Yes and I routinely scrap otherwise worthwhile devices by the truck bed, for lack of service documents. This week the biggest letdown was a midea high efficiency top load washer. It was an obvious samsung / LG knockoff with a minor transmission problem. No parts breakdown, no fixie fixie. Electronic devices are even more dismal, as board layouts and schematics are in a walled garden somewhere. Repair is a dying art.

I already told the owner to be kind to his amp. It's unobtanium already, and if something bad ever happened to it, he would be at the mercy of orange.

Last edited:
I like to add some words to the discussion.
Post #3:
"Orange will only give schematics to qualified service techs."

Now, can someone tell me who is qualified?
I've seen, in the many years I service amps, that "technicians" in a music shop, even if they do not know the difference between a jack and rca connector, get's a "qualified service tech" label.
These "great" companies should make sure that real, qualified technicians, with a proven record of repair knowledge and a written recommendation from a dealer, get acces to their technical library.
It is STUPID to believe that independent technicians aren't worth that access.
At the end, these independent technicians that are considered, I can't find a decent word for it but you surely know, will be the only ones that will service old, second hand, antique, loved and whatever amp. A job these "qualified technicians" refuese to do because they can't make enough money of it.
These "great" companies must realize that not all musicians are milionaires and most are on a very tight budget.
I understand that not every technician, myself included, is capable to repair everything. And it's no shame to say "That's beyond my capacities. Pls go to a brand service station."
It's a never ending battle. It becomes one again with the same company when the dealer (the one who imports the goods) changes. Very frustrating and it helps no one.

If its any consolation the UK website helping the public I was on for years had continual and unceasing armies of posters complaining of 1 year old -2 year old-3 year old washing machines/TV,s/spin dryers/hedge cutters /etc etc etc breaking down and the companies/ retailers refusing to honor their guarantee .

What they did was blame the customer for misuse ,even ones accepted as faulty were returned still not repaired .
This was made worse by small local repair shops closing down as a public policy of "buy & bin " now exists -- buy cheap and don't expect any service ,many filled in guarantees which weren't lived up to only enabling third party sellers to pester them by phone/email etc.

Its a different world now and while innovation is achieving great strides public confidence in a product has hit a new low.
My telling the truth there got me reprimanded as "commercial interests surfaced " I even had one online "philosopher " ex ,university come out with "what is truth " I realized my time on that website was growing shorter .

Looking for a schematic for this amp. Buddy has one and wants to mess with the preamp voicing a little bit. Not sure which one he has, but I'm guessing the 100 has 4 output valves and bigger iron than the 50.
OK, given that here is no help from Orange nor published or hand drawn schematic floating around, do the next best :rolleyes: action possible: clean detailed well illuminated board pictures, at least a set of 3 for each area: top, bottom and through (strong light from below).

Is there ANY schematic for another amp of that series available?
Designers tend to repeat pet ideas all over the place.

What´s your friend´s goal?

Is there another amplifier which already sounds like your friend wants?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
This was made worse by small local repair shops closing down as a public policy of "buy & bin " now exists -.

Whilst I still am upset that the UK supplier for all the little belts and cogs I used to eke another 3 years life out my ancient Denon CD player (till I killed the autochange mechanism trying to fix it for the 4th time) I find white goods still pretty good. I recently replaced both washer and dryer as there were faults in the clockwork and I didn't have time to do a teardown and fix and the spares were 70% of the cost of replacement machines.

Fahey,

Nope, dude paid over 2000 dollars for the amp. He was open to maybe tweaking the preamp a bit before the current status evolved. Now that documentation is unobtanium, it's a completely different story. He's going to be extra careful with it and no touchy touchy. I reincarnated a holy grail amp of his awhile ago (sun 200s) and he would rather be tube rolling and tweaking with it now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.