Balance/Blender circuit instead of 3 way switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all! I am thinking of using a blender circuit instead of a 3 way switch for a Telecaster with 2 passive coils. I know the usual "Blender" circuit will not suffice. I have a dual gang center detent 500K pot. I want the following gains at these pot positions:

Gain% Neck/Bridge Pot position
0% N / 100% B (0 position)
100% N / 100% B (5 position)
100% N / 0% B (10 position)

Is this doable without adding a large circuit and battery? Would the circuit that I have attached work?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• blender circuit.jpg
    blender circuit.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
You'll need to go into opposite lugs on the ganged volume knobs, instead of the same-side lug. Also the tone control wont work; the cap and it's series pot would have to go across R1, the op-amp feedback. If you have an active op-amp drive, you could go way lower on the volume pot, maybe 10K? With the 250K, the guitar will have a high-ish source impedance with the control mid span. Maybe start to experience things like "cords make a difference" which I can imagine would make things confusing.

Been thinking so look out! I have been doing guitar luthier work for 20+ years but trying to do things that haven't been done yet. I took electronics courses but they were all math and troubleshooting based nothing as far as designing anything. I have ordered a slew of resistors, caps, ic chip assortments. Where would a good place to start learning the ins and outs of passive analog circuits be? I have been planning on just starting with breadboard experiments and playing with the signal generator and oscilloscope.

That is the exact one that I have. I am not totally lost just way off track and do not know exactly where to go from here. I do know I need to wire the pots inversely but even doing this will make the volume change between either end of the pots and the center detent. I am trying to come up with a way to keep the volume at whatever point it is set at throughout the range of the pots. Maybe I should be looking at the volume control more than the signals going into it.

Attachments

• bourns.JPG
    bourns.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 73
My goal is to have a true control between 2 passive pickups on a telecaster guitar with no volume or tone fluctuations. The hard part is getting 100% of the signal one while getting 0% of the other on both ends of the pot but also getting 100% of both of them in the center detent. You guys are always thinking of better ways than I can come up with. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

I want tone fluctuations. What I don't want is unexpected volume fluctuations.

OK so passive is not going to get it done. Now I am looking at this circuit and using an onboard 9 volt battery for a power supply. What would be good opamps to use? Would R values still be 10K?

Attachments

• mix bus.JPG
    mix bus.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Can you explain why the blend pot you have doesn't give you what you want?

It is specifically designed to give 0/100, 100/100, 100/0 at positions 0, 5, 10.

It will give you the same function as the 3-way switch, but with gradation in between. Page 2 of the data sheet shows the response you showed in post #7.

Attachments

• blend_pot_response.png
    blend_pot_response.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 51
Haha, no worries, but try it first and check it does what you need, it should work, but make sure there are no spurious responses.

I think it's just a case of wiring the pickups to the opposite terminal of each pot, the other ends to ground, then both centre pins to the tone pot and jack.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.