Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Diy Strat Pickups Coil Tap Question
Diy Strat Pickups Coil Tap Question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2020, 04:27 PM   #31
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
coming back to Slinkys, on all my guitars.
I like them too, but I have tried several others when the Extra Super Slinky 007 to 038 sets vanished from the market years ago. You could bend that 007 all the way across the neck on an old skinny neck Hagstrom I that I had.
Old 30th May 2020, 01:58 PM   #32
mondogenerator is online now mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

What guitar uses those?

They remind me of a Burns, only humbucking.

Eddy currents must have some impact, is it the only cause?

I guess it depends how the PUPs are constructed.
Usually a single ceramic bar and 6 pole pieces.
All the flux linkage is through the magnet itself, until a ferromagnetic plate is put in front of it.
A brass plate may be better, as non magnetic, but eddy currents still exist.

Now if you were to put a 0.005" brass shim behind a pole piece....I guess you could weaken the field intentionally...If that is a good idea (I dont know)

Right now I have a spare set of strings lay about for my LP smartwood, which could only be more awesome if it had chrome hardware, not gold.

They're EB Hybrid Slinky, usually I'll get these or Heavy Bottom Skinny Top (or is it STHB?). Super slinky were my go to string on my first guitar, a Strat clone, and they give a nice woody bass tone.

I just need some weight in bottom end, dropping to D, or CDAGBE, and after a week or so they start sounding rubbery. So the Strat is the only one that gets Slinkys now, the Trem is completely trashed, ant the guitar needs a refret/serious fret levelling and hard tail conversion.
The LP is a Gibson and has the normal PUP covers, sounds great, but I havent tried to take them off! I have a Vintage SG clone, with the same style PUPs and it sounds more vintage lower output and less growl.

I was never that good a solo player, but bending a 9 1.5 steps isnt too bad, 2 steps is more difficult.
My band mate used to laugh at my attempts performing Cockerel Rock 80s Hair Metal guitar solos when I briefly changed to an 8 high E, I just ended up doing bend vibrato around a step, floyd rose tremelo style, with a cheap strat. Broke strings more often than I changed my underwear if I recall. So I just settle for a 9 E. I'm just too hamfisted!

Last edited by mondogenerator; 30th May 2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 30th May 2020, 05:28 PM   #33
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
What guitar uses those?
Some Gretsch guitars come with them (Filtertron pickups). I don't own any Gretschs, but I think it's interesting to see how different engineers tackled the same problems. Gibson and Fender didn't always come up with the best solutions.

Speaking of Fender, Leo seems to have stolen "his" pickup design wholesale from the one invented by John De Armond, and sold by his older brother, Harold De Armond - six Alnico magnets serving double-duty as pole pieces, pushed into a slender elliptical bobbin wound with a single coil of #42 gauge copper wire: The Pickup Story, Part II: De Armond Guitar Microphones )

Alnico conducts electricity, but poorly - it has a rather high resistivity (about 70e-8 ohm metres) compared to, say, copper (1.7e-8 ohm metres). So eddy currents can barely flow in Alnico pole-pieces, which reduces high frequency losses, which is probably one reason why De Armond's pickup design produces those bright sparkly trebles everybody expects from most Fender guitars.
Quote:
Eddy currents must have some impact, is it the only cause?
Dunno if it's the only cause, but in the case of the thick brass pickup covers, I think it's a major one.

Maxwell's equations tell us that eddy currents increase with frequency (the dB/dt in Faraday's law of induction), so eddy currents do tend to affect high frequencies most. These currents decrease if the material is a good conductor (low resistivity), and also increase if the material is thicker (low resistance). So thick brass is a pretty bad choice.

Gibson humbucker pole-pieces are ordinary steel screws (conductivity about 12e-8 ohm-metres), so they're more prone to eddy current loss than Alnico pole-pieces. Add in more inductance from the two coils (instead of one), and finally plop a conductive metal shell over the whole thing, and you can see why Gibson's humbuckers would be less bright-sounding than De Armond's pickup design as used by Fender.
Quote:
...All the flux linkage is through the magnet itself...
To complete the full magnetic circuit, the flux also has to go through the pole-pieces in the coils, and the guitar strings hovering just above them, and the little air gaps between pole-piece tips and guitar strings.

I think of these electromagnetic guitar pickups as variable-reluctance magnetic circuits - when the string vibrates and changes the air-gap to the tip of the pole-piece, the reluctance of the magnetic circuit fluctuates, and so the amount of magnetic flux fluctuates, and so the coil generates an EMF, just as Faraday said it would nearly two hundred years ago. Pretty much exactly the way a moving-iron microphone worked, with guitar strings replacing the magnetic microphone diaphragm.

I don't see terms like "reluctance" and "magnetic circuit" used in modern books on magnetism, only in older ones, but I think they make it much easier to visualize what's happening, as we can use our understanding of Ohm's law and electrical circuits to visualize what's happening in a magnetic circuit. More reluctance, less flux. Less reluctance, more flux. Just like a varying resistor in an electrical circuit!
Quote:
...chrome hardware, not gold...
I have one guitar with gold hardware. It looks awful after ten years, pitted and stained and ugly. Never again!
Quote:
The LP is a Gibson and has the normal PUP covers, sounds great, but I haven't tried to take them off!
I'm guessing Gibson makes those covers out of much thinner material than the ones in my South Korean guitar, or maybe Gibson used a material other than brass, with higher resistivity, and lower eddy current losses. Stainless steel would probably be pretty good, except you can't stamp it out with a die and a press!

The guitar I was talking about - an Agile AS-820, probably made by Cort, and definitely, erm, inspired by a Gibson ES-335 - has quite thick brass PUP covers. The pickups weighed a tonne when I pulled them out - there's lots of heavy brass there!
Quote:
...bending a 9...hamfisted...
I play both acoustic and electric guitar. Acoustic guitars have a longer scale length, a higher action, and tend to use much heavier-gauge strings, so the more acoustic guitar I play, the heavier my left hand gets.

I put 10-gauge strings on my acoustic (most acoustic players use 12 gauge), and even so, 10-gauge strings on my Les Paul copy feel too floppy (because of the shorter scale length). I have a tendency to pull some notes in a chord slightly out of tune on the Les Paul and 335-type guitars unless I consciously use a light touch with my left hand.

11-gauge strings seem to feel about right on a Les Paul scale length, but that will change quickly if I stop playing acoustic guitar for a month!

-Gnobuddy

Diy Strat Pickups Coil Tap QuestionHide this!Advertise here!