Proco RAT Clone doesn't work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excellent news! Congratulations!

If you go back and re-read my post #25, I suggested trying exactly this (using one half of a TL072).
Yes that's what I did today, and I'll be honest I just understood what you said. Even though I didn' have an op amp then.

Unfortunately, there are lots of fake electronics parts available now. To avoid them, I only buy current-production parts from reputable vendors (in North America, that means Digikey, Mouser, et cetera.)

I thought Banzai was a good vendor but I was mistaken.

1. They deleted my reviews on several products because they were negative.
2. They didn't respond to my emails related to LM308 being damaged.

Where did the defective potentiometers (the 100k ones that measure 500k) come from? Also Banzai Music?
No, but they were really cheap.

A friend of mine bought a box of pencils from a dollar-store here. He got home and found no lead (graphite) in the pencils at all - they were just solid wood! Fake pencils!

I can't even imagine what kind of person would go to the trouble of manufacturing fake pencils. :mad:
That really makes me mad too. Damn that was the most non-expecting scum.

Overall, that pedal build made me study more about electronics and understand whats going on. I can say that when I see an overdrive/distortion schematic I can recognize the function of the components.

So, the results are not bad at all.

Thanks everybody!

I can't even imagine what kind of person would go to the trouble of manufacturing fake pencils. :mad:
They'd be seconds, being resold as the real thing.

To be clearer: normal manufacturing process has at least one quality inspection stage, at which anything scratched, dinged or otherwise screwed up gets removed from the official supply chain.

The scrap then gets disposed off. Anything unsold at the end of the product life gets scapped. Same when the shelf is needed for something else. Or when the shop/warehouse closes down. Or if the packaging gets damaged.

And so there's an entire second industry dealing with all this scrap. Some of it's perfectly good stuff and gets flogged off to thrift stores, old fashioned hoarders and ebay dealers (and one of my wine suppliers). Some was rejected for good reason (like the brake light I installed in one of the family cars recently which has dodgy solder resist - but still works)

Some dealers take the time to check what they've bought and confirm it's genuine and charge accordingly (e.g. those in NOS military electronics business selling to defence forces still using and maintaining stuff designed late last century) .

But most people trust what is written on the outside of the box and don't waste time (or money) checking any further. After all, it's all surplus or seconds. Likewise, when an order arrives, they'll fill it from any supplier they can find. If there's a problem, we'll deal with it later.

And that's how leadless pencils end up at the two dollar store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.