Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

No Really Dear, It Followed Me Home.
No Really Dear, It Followed Me Home.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2020, 03:56 AM   #11
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
...any store that I can get something resembling grill cloth is closed...
The dollar stores are still open here. You and I have both used place-mats for grille cloth before. The combo guitar amp in the attached pic uses a dollar-store place mat for a grille cloth.

Michael's (arts/crafts store) is also still open around here. They often have rolls of mesh fabric in several colours, usually used to make decorative backdrops for weddings and other celebrations. They make good grille-cloth, too - I had to double up the cloth to get it to show some colour (dark blue) and not bee too transparent in the last cab for which I used it.

-Gnobuddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w_grille_Jan_26_2018_DSC_2226c_1000px.jpg (496.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 10th April 2020, 12:58 PM   #12
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearinspace View Post
Well, maybe the ones close to home are. These guys aren't.

I will have to check out what the shipping and getting it across the border will cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
The dollar stores are still open here. You and I have both used place-mats for grille cloth before. The combo guitar amp in the attached pic uses a dollar-store place mat for a grille cloth.

Michael's (arts/crafts store) is also still open around here. They often have rolls of mesh fabric in several colours, usually used to make decorative backdrops for weddings and other celebrations. They make good grille-cloth, too - I had to double up the cloth to get it to show some colour (dark blue) and not bee too transparent in the last cab for which I used it.

-Gnobuddy

I like that one, do not have it. Been there done that. I have a supply of place mats to use, just not big enough for this project. My first place mat grill, I used some stain to age the look of it to match the condition of the radio.Other than places that sell food here and hardware stores all stores are closed.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Printer2; 10th April 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10th April 2020, 07:10 PM   #13
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
...hardware stores...
Screen-door mesh from the hardware store works great. I've used both the black plastic kind, and the dark-grey aluminium kind. The metal stuff looks better, but is so easy to crease or dent, and then it looks awful.

There is one major downside to screen-door mesh: I had to buy some thirty bucks worth at one shot. They don't sell it except as a full roll.

I just found this mesh fabric on Amazon: Annies Lightweight Pewter Mesh Fabric LTWT 18x54, 54 Inches: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

The gauzy stuff I've bought from Michael's is apparently tulle, and Amazon has some: Falk Fabrics Tulle Spool, 6-Inch by 100-Yard, Navy: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

This particular navy-blue tulle is only 6" wide, half as wide as the 12" stuff (same colour) that I bought on clearance at Michaels. That was just wide enough to work with my 8" speakers.

Amazon does have wider tulle, maybe worth a look-see in case they have something other than bright red: tulle_bolt-54-inches wide by 40 yards long (red): Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

-Gnobuddy
Old 24th May 2020, 07:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I found a grill from a Leslie cabinet that might work. On the slow burn pile though. Picke up an old Wurlitzer, not old enough though, SS. Usually the giveaway is if there is a slider for a volume control, got fulled. Free so no big loss.

Just picked up a Yamaha with a SS tone generation and a tube amplifier. It was a 1965 model B-6. No schematic or details online I can find. Two 12"s and the power amp has 7868 output tubes and the OT says 9k on it. Looking up the datasheet and if at given values for 450V would be about 28W at 2% THD. Good they make the tubes again. Has two 6AU6's before them, guess Cathodyne splitter. Has a transformerless 6AQ5 reverb, fair sized resistors to dissipate the heat. A pair of JA3051 yamaha speaker, alnico's. That is it for my organ shopping spree. Have enough speakers and amplifier parts to last me as long as I will likely be interested in them.

Last edited by Printer2; 24th May 2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 25th May 2020, 05:05 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I was mistaken on the reverb, it is a 6AQ6, should have noticed the bottle is narrower. A double triode. Also all the tone generating circuits, Germanium transistors, lots of them. I would have kept the organ intact if it had a decent piano sound, nothing doing. So parting it out. I think it would be nifty to have both speakers paired up with the output transformer in a 2x12 combo. But that is minimum over a year from now. Still working (slowly) on a EL84 amp at the moment.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:53 PM   #16
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

The 6AQ6 is a single triode with two diodes, similar to the 6AV6 and 6AT6, except for it's stingy 6.3V 150 mA heater.

It is often found in old military radios, and rarely seen elsewhere. I have a box full of them somewhere. They don't look anything like the tube in your picture. 6EU7 maybe?
Old 26th May 2020, 01:28 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
The 6AQ6 is a single triode with two diodes, similar to the 6AV6 and 6AT6, except for it's stingy 6.3V 150 mA heater.

It is often found in old military radios, and rarely seen elsewhere. I have a box full of them somewhere. They don't look anything like the tube in your picture. 6EU7 maybe?

I can't even get the correction right. It is a 6AQ8.
Old 27th May 2020, 10:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I know I probably should not have, but ten bucks! A record player, no preamp tube, just a 50L6 fed by the ceramic cartridge. Just picked it up for the case to put an amp in. The panel that the speakers and amp sits on fits in where the hole is.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

OK, last one. It dropped in price from $50 to $20. Only saw the picture in the front, not too far from my place so I took a chance. Could not find the address so went back home, contacted the person and they messed up one number. O well. Pictures not mine.

7149 Radio Sparton of Canada; London, ON, build 1948/1949, 2

Got it home and looked at the tube complement (never even checked there). A 5Y3, so far so good, a 6V6, check, another 6V6, 6AT6.

12" speaker. A large power transformer, may have to swap one of my others. Why carry the weight if you don't have to? So worth the inconvenience and the $20.

No Really Dear, It Followed Me Home.Hide this!Advertise here!