Marshall JCM2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on another TSL100 with overheated ground contacts on the 16 Ohm jack. I've seen this problem many times but this particular amp had a shorted OPT to go along with the overheated jack. When using any jack other than the 16 Ohm jack all of the current flows thru the ground contacts. So my question is why did Marshall make the ground contacts switched? I don't think the contacts were ever designed for this current. I've stared at the schematic and I can not see a reason for the switched contacts.

Craig

I don't have the schematic, but generally tube amplifiers use switched output jacks to avoid having an open circuit----which can happen if NO load is connected. Tube amps would MUCH rather see a short circuit than an open one---exactly the opposite of a solid-state amp. An open circuit to a tube amp can cause your output transformer to fail--a very expensive experience. So if you have a switched contact which shorts the output to ground, no damage will be done if the speaker connection gets yanked unexpectedly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.