Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

How to wire one-per-string magnetic pick-ups
How to wire one-per-string magnetic pick-ups
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2020, 04:58 PM   #31
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Anderton's Music has an interview with Yvette Young, whose parents pushed her into classical music, violin, classical piano competitions, and performing in an orchestra, starting when she was very young. She hated all this so much she actually became ill.

Fortunately, she recovered after she stopped competing, and she eventually started to play her own kind of music on guitar: YouTube

-Gnobuddy
Old 13th February 2020, 03:33 PM   #32
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldus View Post
Great info, thank you guys, I will try parallel first and will post my findings next week.
Hi Poldus,

What did you find?

Art
Old 14th February 2020, 10:36 AM   #33
poldus is offline poldus  Europe
diyAudio Member

weltersys, thanks for asking. I promised photos but I haven't posted any yet. Ill try to do it asap.
I connected the magnetic pickups in parallel and it works great, in combination with the piezo. I just moved the magnetic further away from the bridge because the sound was too bright overall. (cosmetically disappointing because now the cable can be seen going into a hole in the wood where the pickup used to sit)
Now the piezo provides the brightness and the nuances from the fingers and the magnetic a solid body to the notes.
My main instrument is the sax. I've just recently taken up guitar and bass, so I'm a total newbie. I have been lowering the action progresivelly to where I feel comfortable, so some notes on the mid to high end of the fretboard are buzzy. But I'm learning a lot and am totally happy with my creation.
Photo coming soon.
Old 14th February 2020, 05:42 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldus View Post
...just recently taken up guitar and bass...
Watch out for unexpected differences between those two, often overlooked by those of us who start on guitar.

For instance: good fretting-hand technique on guitar is to use the fingertips to press the strings down, with the tip of the finger standing nearly upright on the fretboard. This lets you play clean chords and ringing open strings, without accidental muting.

But most good bass players I've seen use the pads of their fingers to hold down strings, not the tip...and they lay their fingers almost flat across the fretboard, rather than perpendicular to it. Their fingers are usually touching all the higher strings simultaneously, to keep them quiet. This time it's all about deliberately muting every string except the one you're playing. Bass players rarely play chords or double-stops, so most of the time it's one single note at a time - and you definitely don't want other open strings ringing out!

What's particularly odd is that I've never seen this mentioned in any of several "How to play bass guitar" books I've read. The books show the same left-hand finger position as for guitar. But that's not what I see in video clips of really good bass players.

Maybe the need for so much left-hand muting has something to do with the exploding power levels of bass rigs, with many bass players now believing they need a 1000 watt bass rig to play a coffee-shop gig.

-Gnobuddy
Old 17th February 2020, 07:43 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Gnobuddy, thanks for the info. I've noticed Charlie Haden often using the fingers the way you described.
A couple pics as promised:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20191225_123952.jpg (254.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20191225_124010.jpg (206.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 18th February 2020, 03:07 PM   #36
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work!

Where did you mount the "null" pickup?
Old 18th February 2020, 03:47 PM   #37
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

VERY Nice looking instrument. What's the body made from? It seems thin enough that warpage might be a problem...

Look where the drummer has his china mounted - and the hanging metal. I can only imagine the music you guys play!
Old 18th February 2020, 06:46 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
VERY Nice looking instrument.
I agree, nicely done!

I remember watching a Pink Floyd video in which Guy Pratt was playing an upright electric bass that looks very similar, but I can't seem to locate an image online to confirm that memory.

The two attached images are of early (1930s) production electric upright basses by Ro-Pat-In (later changed to Rickenbacker) and by Vega. The Rickenbacker has a double-horseshoe pickup that appears to be a very similar design to the groundbreaking one George Beauchamp designed for their 1931 "Frying pan" electric slide guitar.

-Gnobuddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rickenbacker_electric_upright_bass_1935.jpg (428.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg vegauprightelectric.jpg (357.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 19th February 2020, 07:51 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the compliments. the null is inside the wooden pickup case. It has no magnet that I can tell and will pick up no sound at all.
The body is maple, like the neck. I figured the overall shape and thickness from some photos of Eberhard Weber's bass. It holds the intonation well enough for me.
By the way, the action is pretty low and comfortable right now and only the octave point on the fingerboard is buzzy. I am afraid to start sanding it in case I mess up.

Last edited by poldus; 19th February 2020 at 07:55 AM.

How to wire one-per-string magnetic pick-upsHide this!Advertise here!