Super cheap guitar amp kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last time I looked, you could buy a "Champ" for about 1 and a quarter. Great little tube amp and easy to tweak. Check out silver faced Champs. The solid state versions are probably cheaper. Buy a dead one and build a GainClone in it. Have you considered a PigNose?. I know these are all commercial products, but by the time you buy cabinets, speaker(s) ans asstd parts, you're in tha same if not higher price range. I wouldn't want my wife to know what I spent building a guitar amp so far..............

Your most expensive part will likely be the driver. Check parts express for a guitar driver. I'm not sure exactly the the differences are between a Hi-fi Driver and a guitar driver, I suspect the guitar drivers are meant to be capable of a broad midrange but nothing too low or too high.

Other than that, you could do a chipamp and put a fender/marshall tone control on the front end of it and have a DIY kit for <$30 in circuitry parts leaving you about $70 to work with building yourself a cab. One way to go anyways..
--
Danny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.