Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

DIY All-in-one Experimental Amp
DIY All-in-one Experimental Amp
DIY All-in-one Experimental Amp Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2019, 10:02 PM   #11
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd never make a living at this... But it's still fun! Tubelab's efforts are impressive to see......He never came back with the money.....I dont recall what finally happened to that amp...
I have made a lot of guitar and HiFi amps over the years, and probably 1/3 or more of them were solid state. More than half were given away or stripped for parts when I grew tired of them. Very few were sold at a profit, and probably the same number were sold at breakeven.

I made a bunch of "Turbo Champs" and a few 35 watt push pull amps with surplus and dumpster parts when my daughter was in the high school band and had lots of friends with musical weapons. Most of them went to her friends for the cost of the parts I actually bought, which wasn't much. I wonder where they all went, since many of the kids left South Florida when they graduated high school.

Tubelab Inc has only made more than $1000 once in its 14 year existence, that was 2007. It has paid for itself and subsidized my experiments for most of it's existence, and lost money a few times. That was OK when I had a fat salary from Motorola, but not now in retirement. 2016 was looking like the end of Tubelab, but the economy recovered near the end of the year. It's been iffy the last two years though.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If it's any consolation: pity today's most talented violin-makers. Carefully conducted double-blind testing ( Million-dollar Strads fall to modern violins in blind ‘sound check’ | Science | AAAS ) has shown quite conclusively that the best modern violins are preferred by top-notch violinists over 350-year-old Stradivarius and Amati and Guarneri violins.

But as soon as you take away the blindfolds, violinists and millionaires alike are desperate to get their hands on the multi-million-dollar Strad's and Amatis, while the better-performing modern instruments are treated as second-rate, and second-rate by a a long, long, long way at that.

Keep those violinists blindfolded then, fewer distractions for them that way too!!
Old 5th November 2019, 03:24 PM   #13
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing! People do have an unreasonable attachment to that which they believe "must" be better, or that which they've experienced all those years ago and would like to recreate.

Back to OPs post, I'd strongly consider having pluggable circuitry in an experimental amp, particularly for any inter-stage voicing. Imagine a few cascaded 12AX7 stages, where you could move a PCB card (with coax wires going to the panel tone controls) between any two. Or insert a voicing card (with RC networks of varying complexity) between any two. Pick a card edge connector and go. (I recall this idea has been tried commercially and died. I believe you could get a card with a tube on it in that design)

Perhaps even the type of capacitors used on such a card could voice an amp to someone's liking. Example card connections could be In Gnd B+ Gnd Out Gnd. Cant have too many Ground connections.

One guy at my former company got a cost savings award for removing ground connections. I was like, yeah, your car still will roll down the road on just two lug nuts per wheel!
Old 5th November 2019, 05:53 PM   #14
Gnobuddy is online now Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
Keep those violinists blindfolded then, fewer distractions for them that way too!!
Interestingly enough, blindfolds of a sort have played that role elsewhere in modern symphony orchestras.

Not so long ago, the vast majority of musicians in symphony orchestras were male. All were hired by audition, and the people who hired them felt that they were the best musicians who'd applied for the job.

Legal action based on equal-rights discrimination resulted in the auditioning process for symphony orchestras being modified in one seemingly insignificant way: a thin black cloth screen was placed between performer and hiring committee, and other gender cues were removed (the auditioner's voice, the scent of perfume, the sound of high-heels or jangling jewelry). The hiring committee could no longer see the musician, or know in advance what gender he/she was.

Surprise, surprise! Once that "blindfold" was introduced, audition-winning musicians turned out to be female approximately 50% of the time. Without being able to see and pre-judge them, suddenly hiring committees found that the best performing musician had about an equal chance of being male or female.

So yeah, eliminating visual distractions is good for music in general!

And if anyone has the slightest doubt about the truth of that, I give you Taylor Swift, a great example of visual appeal backed up by a complete absence of musical talent.

Here's Swift singing live without AutoTune, demonstrating that she could't find the right musical note if her life depended on it: YouTube

(Force yourself to listen to Swift's "harmonies" starting at about 1:04; what does not kill you makes you stronger, some say. )

-Gnobuddy
Old 11th November 2019, 01:23 AM   #15
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
See if you can Google up the schematic of the Soldano SLO 100. It has a bunch of gain stages, but tricks like 470K grid stoppers are used to tame the total gain and roll off the highs to kill the hiss. Each stage had different tricks used to make the whole amp stable, and LDR are used in place of the relays to bypass gain stages as needed.
Ampbook's analysis of the SLO-100. Well worth reading
Old 13th November 2019, 01:32 AM   #16
BJosephs is offline BJosephs  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenColumbo View Post
Thx for the reply! Well, actually there's only 3-4 gain stages here, one can be switched in or out, one is a cathode follower before a quite lossy tone stack, and then there's just the FX loop which SHOULD have unity gain. Still too much? I could purge the FX loop, only wanted to plug in some reverb based on the FV-1 spinsemi ...

I like the idea of going "backwards" step by step. Food for thought, thank you!
If you follow decent construction practices youíll be fine. This isnít even close to pushing it gain wise. I donít think youíll like all the switching as much as you think so consider just sticking with a basic jcm 2203 preamp and bypass a gain stage with a switching jack. Or go with your gut, you can rip unnecessary stuff out later.
Old 13th November 2019, 01:46 AM   #17
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ampbook's analysis of the SLO-100. Well worth reading
Yes, excellent explanation....makes me want to build one......UH, I have a Chinese 100 watt guitar amp with the necessary tubes, sockets and transformers......just rip out the boards and..........NO, not another project......
Old 17th November 2019, 10:11 AM   #18
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
..........NO, not another project......
I think this is where I go "Bwahhahaha!" while stroking my white cat

DIY All-in-one Experimental AmpHide this!Advertise here!