Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Oscillation in effect loop
Oscillation in effect loop
Oscillation in effect loop Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 05:09 PM   #21
razorrick1293 is offline razorrick1293  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok, any pointers on good layout/wiring?
Old 7th November 2019, 10:55 PM   #22
Gnobuddy is online now Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good layout is too big a topic to cover easily, and it's a bit of a "soft" skill, half art, half science. But here's a little write-up to get you started: How to Layout and Build a Guitar Amplifier Chassis - GuitarKitBuilder

That write-up is very incomplete - it only really talks about physical placement of the main components. It doesn't address wiring at all, and the wiring layout can make or break the build.

I'll see if I can find a good wiring layout write-up somewhere (there must be some!), but in the meantime, some general guidelines off the top of my head:

1) Keep wires as short as possible, within reason (i.e. don't fight to shave a millimetre off the length, but shave off an inch whenever you can.)

2) Don't run signal wires side-by-side and close together.

3) When possible, cross signal wires at right angles or nearly so.

4) Keep wires carrying low-level signals far away from wires carrying large signal voltages.

5) Keep output wires as far from input wires as possible - at every gain stage, as well as over the entire amplifier.

6) Route wires flat against the grounded metal chassis when possible; this reduces hum and noise pickup.

7) Use shielded cable (coaxial cable) for sensitive wiring carrying small signal voltages.

8) Distance is your friend in many cases - space wires further apart, keep outputs well separated from inputs, position gain stages a few inches apart. (Yes, this appears to contradict item #1, and you have to figure out a reasonable compromise.)

9) Grounding within the amp is critical. This is a whole topic by itself; the chapter on grounding schemes in Merlin Blencowe's Tube Preamp book is well worth reading.

-Gnobuddy
Old 12th November 2019, 03:12 AM   #23
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
Good layout is too big a topic to cover easily, and it's a bit of a "soft" skill, half art, half science.
The best advice I ever heard (I think first phrased this way by Lynn Olson) was
"think in loops"

Current flows in loops; voltage adds up to zero around loops and magnetic coupling happens in loops. A twisted pair is an anti-loop.

Capacitive coupling does take a little more visualisation but it's still in a loop. Shielding trys to block or cut loops. Static is probably the odd man out here but that's usually only a problem during construction

Last edited by thoglette; 12th November 2019 at 03:14 AM.

Oscillation in effect loopHide this!Advertise here!