Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Most guitar cabs designed poorly?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2019, 06:26 PM   #71
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

It does sound pretty good - on the horn thing - the radius and mouth/throat are tiny to have any effect. Idea was indeed to have it look better haha But it would have some effect for sure.
Old 4th November 2019, 04:04 PM   #72
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dumble. There's a respected amp builder who makes his cabinets "different" than a simple open back. (According to the story, he wondered why no one dared to do anything else, tacked the idea and now it's a standard feature...)
Old 4th November 2019, 07:02 PM   #73
luceroz is offline luceroz
diyAudio Member

There are also the forte guitar cabs. they had reflectors inside and slots/holes on the sides to direct the back wave.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:24 PM   #74
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
...Dumble...
Now you've done it! He Who Shall Not Be Named Without Threats Of A Lawsuit is going to appear in your home, inside a 5-pin (pentagonal) 807 tube socket.

More seriously, Fuchs Audio Technology has used acoustic damping wool inside their guitar cabs for years, along with such other sacrilegious practices as using small cooling fans to keep chassis temperatures where they belong.

I tend to throw a cheap Walmart pillow inside every small guitar cab I make. Acoustic filling is most effective in the middle of the cab's air volume, where the air velocities are highest, rather than on the cabinet walls, where there are acoustic nodes (and therefore no air movement!)

The pillow causes a small but audible reduction in boxiness, which I prefer.

As usual with music and creative arts, there isn't a single correct way to build a guitar cab. I have heard good guitarists who use a "boxy" sounding cabinet as part of their guitar tone, to good effect. These guitarists are usually going for an overdriven, midrange-dominant sound, and the "boxy" cab helps achieve that.

I'm a little surprised nobody's brought up electro-acoustic guitar cabs yet. Most "acoustic" guitars are plugged in these days, and many of the small acoustic guitar (combo) amps I've heard sound atrocious to varying degrees. Some are so boxy, they sound as though you're somehow playing your guitar inside a bucket.

In my experience, electric guitars are relatively insensitive to bad cabinet acoustics, while (electro-)acoustic guitar's are much more sensitive to them, so poor cab design really does a number on your acoustic-guitar sound. But most acoustic guitar amplifier manufacturers don't put much effort into their cab design.

For years now I've continued to use an Acoustic AG30 I bought as my "starter" acoustic guitar amplifier; I keep using it because it's less boxy-sounding than anything else I've heard even at at twice the price.

Probably not coincidentally, the tuned, slot-loaded, bass reflex cabinet is far from the usual right rectangular prism ("brick") shape (see photo), and only two of the six cabinet walls (the two side walls) are actually parallel to each other. This probably weakens internal standing waves considerably.

-Gnobuddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5_Pin_Socket.jpg (97.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png Acoustic_AG30_Combo_Amp.png (572.9 KB, 21 views)

Most guitar cabs designed poorly?Hide this!Advertise here!