Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Most guitar cabs designed poorly?
Most guitar cabs designed poorly?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2019, 08:45 PM   #11
Michael Bean is offline Michael Bean  United States
diyAudio Member

OK...go ahead and play an electric guitar through a hi-fi system and notice how absolutely crappy it sounds...yeah, I've tried it, and it sounds crappy. Guitar amps and cabs are not in any way hi-fi, nor is hi-fi eqipment suitable for musical intruments...those are two totally different realms. The fact of the matter is the amp and cab are musical instruments in and of themselves, chosen for a specific sound quality.

Mike
Old 13th October 2019, 08:52 PM   #12
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Galu is right.

An electric guitar is almost always an instrument made up of 3 parts:

The guitar, the amp and the speaker.

All 3 contribute to the sound and therefore do not follow any rules other that you like the result. If that includes extremes like slicing up the cone a la Kinks so be it.

The one exception is Nile Rodgers. If you want to sound like him just get a di box.
The technical difference in how the guitar sounds between Nile and for example Jimi Hendrix is the sound of 'crap' amps and speakers.
Old 13th October 2019, 09:15 PM   #13
hitsware is offline hitsware
diyAudio Member

You could try something like this:

Roland AC-60 Chorus Acoustic Guitar Amp | zZounds

And see how you like it ..
Old 13th October 2019, 09:19 PM   #14
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
All 3 contribute to the sound and therefore do not follow any rules other that you like the result. If that includes extremes like slicing up the cone a la Kinks so be it.
Charles is right!

However, perhaps some of the members are too young to remember the Kinks and their distorted guitar sound - no fuzz boxes in them days!

YouTube
Old 13th October 2019, 09:32 PM   #15
krivium is online now krivium  France
diyAudio Member

I remember a Lemmy's interview circa 1995 ( he wasn't the metal god he became latter with signature head and cabs) where he explained how he used a pen to drill holes into the 2x15" he used at that time. Here is an example by the master himself:

YouTube
Old 13th October 2019, 09:47 PM   #16
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

At a bass forum, this would be one of the classic positions of a "guitard", as guitar players are known, to always be seeking dominance of the guitar in the band mix, and denigrating other instruments. Making the guitar fuller range just leads to either diminished bass/vocals, or being cut back to a traditional range at the mix.

Last edited by leadbelly; 13th October 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 13th October 2019, 10:02 PM   #17
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Most efforts (including mine) to pimp a Marshall #1960 cab towards more sound (sic) construction turned out to be a total waste. Add some light damping material, and brace the cab, notably the back panel (also known as "the hidden 5th speaker") and you kill its magic completely. Lifeless, harsh, sterile, no "oohmp"...

Last edited by KSTR; 13th October 2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 13th October 2019, 11:14 PM   #18
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivium View Post
I remember a Lemmy's interview circa 1995
What an unconventional bass player in every sense!

One of my other hobbies is model building.

Looking forward to the release of this kit!

The album was released on October 27th 1979, reaching number 12 on the UK charts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorhead's Bomber 40th.jpg (210.7 KB, 254 views)
Old 13th October 2019, 11:19 PM   #19
krivium is online now krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Yes i agree unconventional! A true legend now he passed away ( and thanks to the 'big four' devotion to the guy - well deserved in my view).

Leadbelly, here again i fully agree with you too.

My point with the video was that in the first second you can clearly listen to the driver distorting... before he push the gain on the head and start to sound like a kind of guitar!!
Maybe the bad habits to drill holes on drivers have been kept during all this years.

Last edited by krivium; 13th October 2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 14th October 2019, 04:46 AM   #20
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Pankov View Post
But question is, why no one goes for perfection in a guitar cab - the way they are - just do some extra fiddling to make it better?
That's the beauty of DIY - if you feel there is something lacking in the sound of current guitar cabs, by all means try to improve it (according to your own personal taste)!

Other guitarists may or may not like the result, but that's not the point. DIY is about making something for yourself, so who cares if you're the only one who likes it? You are precisely the target market for your own DIY cab, so you are the only one who matters!

I usually throw a cheap Walmart pillow into my DIY guitar cabs. I find it reduces the "boxy" sound of internal cabinet resonances a little, and I prefer it that way - particularly for clean guitar tones.

However, I have heard other guitarists use exactly that same "boxy" sound as part of their guitar tone. For them, making the cab less boxy would be a step backwards.

Fuchs Audio is the only guitar amp company I know of that uses acoustic damping inside their cabinets (at least some of them.) They also use fan cooling for the tubes, and other engineering advances.

Clearly, Andy Fuchs isn't slavishly bound to repeating everything Leonidas Fender did sixty-odd years ago. According to this interview ( How Andy Fuchs went from basement builder to boutique big-hitter - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar ), he's willing to use DC heaters, high-voltage MOSFETs, low noise JFETs, and other circuit improvements that were simply not available to Leonidas Fender, Jim Marshall, and other guitar amp pioneers of the mid 20th century.

On this very forum, I have brought up DC heaters a few times, and each time, some people reacted as though I was proposing something abominable, repulsive, disgusting.

I found that reaction quite bewildering. The engineering reality is that AC heaters are a horrible compromise that had to be made in the early 20th century, because at that time there was just no practical way to get amperes of clean DC at low voltage in a tube amp.

Things are very different now, with cheap switching power supplies everywhere, capable of delivering amps of clean DC power at low cost and high reliability, along with light weight and compact size. They are the perfect source of heater power!

-Gnobuddy

Most guitar cabs designed poorly?Hide this!Advertise here!