AKG D5 dynamic mic (discontinued)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys.
A friend gave me 2 older AKG D5 dynamic mics. One sounds still great but the sound of the other one is very thin, lacking the body, as if the low frequencies are completely cut off. I compared both mics against each other but couldn't find anything obvious (there weren't much parts to compare anyway...). I tried reversing polarity but this didn't do anything. Any idea what's going on?

Sounds like a problem with the capsule itself. It's something that can be fixed on older mics, but only because you can strip them right down and remove the diaphragm for cleaning and re-alignment.

In the case of the D5, I'm not sure that's possible. If the mic isn't usable as-is, though, you have nothing to lose - you could try to open it up and see what can be done.

Chris

It being an AKG mic, service docs are easy to find. Measure DC resistance (compare to other unit), and visually inspect the capsule, checking for a tiny bit of movement if possible.

My guess would be a fried voice coil resulting in a stuck diaphragm (usually indicated by abnormally low DC resistance as well), or a torn suspension or something. You can always try ordering a new capsule, I guess (P/N 2610Z00320). Can't be too expensive on a mic that's 59€ these days.

On a Peavey Mic that has fallen on the ground, there was a brass ring around the gap which became loose. I carefully put it in place forcing the diaphragm down pushing it with a Q-tip. There is also sometimes a felted adhesive tape around the capsule. If this was replaced by ordinary scotch tape, it can affect the sound. Check on both if it's the same..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.