Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Semi starved plate tube dilemma
Semi starved plate tube dilemma
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2019, 09:30 PM   #11
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
Actually these aren't mine, they're simplified theoretical circuits from Merlin Blencowe's article on Triodes at Low Voltages.
Yes, I got that from your first post.
Quote:
My dilemma is with biasing. Fig. 4 has an impedance buffer opamp that is powered by a single sided +12v supply, which means, I suppose, that the signal idle would have to be biased to +6v as well as the +2.6v for grid biasing.
Trust me, I understand the circuit, and there is no dilemma!

The op-amp isn't biased to +6V plus +2.6V. It's just biased to +2.6V. The voltage is indicated on the schematic you posted.
Quote:
But my circuit would be fed by opamps with a bipolar supply of +/-15v each side, so the signal idle will be at 0v, which must affect the biasing.
Firstly, the TL071 is a single op-amp; so you can run that one op-amp from a single supply rail: use your 0V and +15V rails. Simplicity itself. Other op-amps elsewhere in your circuit can still be run off the +15/0/-15 bipolar rails.

Secondly, if you do run that TL071 from a bipolar supply, that changes nothing whatsoever. Use R3 to set the op-amps (+) input at +2.6V, and its output will follow. The op-amp doesn't care if its negative rail is 0V, or -15V!

If you still don't see it: the op-amp is wired as a unity-gain voltage follower. The output voltage is identical to the voltage on the (+) input - the non-inverting input. Set that to +2.6V, and the output will also be at +2.6V.

This will be true as long as the op-amp has enough power supply voltage for its output to settle at +2.6V. The op-amp doesn't care if you feed it +/- 12V, +12V and -15V, or +12V and 0V.

Note that the 12AU7 will still be wired as in Blencowe's figure, between 0V rail and +15V rail. (NOT to the -15V rail.)

Quote:
My other dilemma is that I could derive a tube HT from the 30v available from my PSU (+15v to -15v). But would that have any advantage as it would make grid biasing even more complicated.
This is a bad idea, unless you want to throw out all of Blencowe's hard work, and start over doing your own research.

So, keep it simple: forget about the -15 V rail as far as the 12AU7 is concerned. Wire the 12AU7 between 0V and +15V, as Blencowe showed. Add the series resistor to let the heater work on +15V. And that solves the entire problem. No more dilemmas, except what snack to munch on while you solder the thing up.

-Gnobuddy
Old 11th October 2019, 01:17 AM   #12
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Fig 4 in post #1, the opamp can just as well be fed +/-15V as +12/0V.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:06 AM   #13
Zebb is offline Zebb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Great... I'll breadbord it and see how it sounds. Thanks for the advice.

Semi starved plate tube dilemmaHide this!Advertise here!