Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

transformer placement
transformer placement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Dimitree is offline Dimitree  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default transformer placement

hello everyone, I'm building a Vox AC30 amp clone, and I'm stuck with transformer placement. I know I should not place OT and PT with the same orientation, but what about the choke? for it, should I use the same orientation of the PT, or the same of OT? as you can see I only can mount the transformers upright, so only 2 orientation are possible. Right now the distance between the PT and the OT is about 35cm center to center. What do you think?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th September 2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
The layout depicted below looks good. In any case, it is important that magnetic axes be at right angles, and so far as you can.
Old 30th September 2019, 02:47 PM   #3
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Spaced well apart is always going to give good isolation, magnetic field drops off as the inverse-cube of distance, so doubling distance is a factor of 1/8, or -18dB, all else being equal.
Old 30th September 2019, 03:40 PM   #4
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

does the third dimension matter? and does the chassis prevent hum pickup? why are most supply chokes open frame? if so without knowing the layout of circuits below the transformers would it not be wise to move everything back as far from the front of the chassis where most of the high gain stages live?
Old 30th September 2019, 04:06 PM   #5
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
why are most supply chokes open frame?
Because magnetic harnesses short circuit (magnetically) the gap in the core and make inductance difficult to calculate and predict. It also happens with all cores with DC superimposed, as in audio output transformers single ended. Look, for example, my regen output trafo made from tube vertical TV deflection core and harness. There is a cut near the gap site to prevent core saturation and gap short circuit (Bottom left of the pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regen 02.JPG (136.9 KB, 32 views)

transformer placementHide this!Advertise here!