Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Self contained electric acoustic u-bass
Self contained electric acoustic u-bass
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2019, 03:59 AM   #11
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
I understand where you're coming from. I suspect there might be some challenges with scale-length and hardware, due to the string thickness.

The little U-basses use short but extremely thick plastic strings, which need enormous holes in the tuners, enormous holes in the tailpiece (or bridge), and enormous slots in the nut.

The tuners on the bass look like regular bass tuners. The 'strings' are surgical tubing and looks like they get stretched and placed in the slots. It looks like the bridge gust has a hole for the tubing to go through and is more than likely just knotted inside. The nut just takes a little file work.
Old 29th September 2019, 05:47 AM   #12
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Ok, go and build it.

Then YOU tell us the results.
Old 29th September 2019, 03:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Ok, go and build it.

Then YOU tell us the results.

Me?
Old 29th September 2019, 08:21 PM   #14
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Some of the early versions had an aluminum neck...the tuning changed with the temperature.
I think all of my guitars go sharp when the temperature gets colder. It's been more noticeable since I left Los Angeles and moved to BC, where we actually have four seasons.

I think the metal truss-rod shrinks when temperatures fall, and the wooden neck doesn't, so the neck gets pulled slightly backwards, and the string tension goes up as a result.

Invar ( Invar - Wikipedia ) truss-rods, anyone?

-Gnobuddy
Old 29th September 2019, 08:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
...moose are super-shy.
I once watched a documentary film about a large group of moose which had taken over a small city golf course.

After the moose chased and scared a number of people (in fairness to the moose, these people had usually behaved like idiots and invaded the moose's personal space before it chased them), a fairly effective solution was found: police constables riding Segway transporters! Apparently the moose didn't like the Segways at all.

Another diyAudio user told me about Alaska's most famous moose, Buzzwinkle, who liked to get drunk eating fermented apples, after which he would paint the town red: Recalling Alaska's most notorious drunken moose, the street-smart Buzzwinkle - Anchorage Daily News

-Gnobuddy
Old 29th September 2019, 08:36 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
The tuners on the bass look like regular bass tuners.
On a U-bass? I would have thought four standard bass-guitar tuners on a Ukulele neck would have about the same effect on balance as a lead brick on a kitten's tail.

Quote:
The nut just takes a little file work.
The nut is definitely the easiest part.

Some years ago, I put a set of (metal wrapped) plastic strings on a Chinese-made short scale violin bass for a friend who wanted to try playing bass. Those strings fit the tuner holes okay, and I filed out the nut with a set of ordinary needle files. But I had considerable headaches at the other end (bridge and tailpiece.)

That particular violin bass was quite heavy, and came with standard bass-guitar tuners on the headstock.

The strings worked fine with the magnetic pickup, but I didn't like their sound - thuddy and with an unattractive timbre, and they always sounded out of tune no matter what I did (yes, I set and reset the intonation, several times.)

-Gnobuddy
Old 1st October 2019, 08:42 AM   #17
luigiman is offline luigiman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've been in touch more about some of the issues raised here with my friend who has built a version of this project already, and he has told me he does have some feedback issues, but he is able to get sufficient gain before feedback to allow the ubass to compete with acoustic instruments, which is all that's needed. He has braced from the bridge to the back in his instrument, like someone suggested, so I'll be doing that.

Otherwise, I'll let everyone know how I get along.

Wish someone would answer my original question about how best to calculate the volume of a sealed enclosure for the SB13PFC25-04 driver...
Old 1st October 2019, 09:09 AM   #18
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiman View Post
Wish someone would answer my original question about how best to calculate the volume of a sealed enclosure for the SB13PFC25-04 driver...
WinISD or Hornresp will let you run simulations.

I'd consider ported, too. The simulations will show you why.

Chris
Old 1st October 2019, 09:11 AM   #19
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Me?
żżżżżż??????
I´m talking to the OP
Old 1st October 2019, 04:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
żżżżżż??????
I´m talking to the OP

I thought so but since I am known to try silly things and I had the preceding post I thought it best to ask.

Self contained electric acoustic u-bassHide this!Advertise here!