Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Help to chose a practice amp (1W and less) to make
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2019, 07:43 AM   #11
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just thought I should mention this schematic.
YouTube
YouTube

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Printer2; 18th September 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:25 PM   #12
tristanc is offline tristanc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Sound clips

Managed to take a quick sound clip. Close mic'd using a Sony lapel condensor mic, into Garageband via a preamp thing. No EQ, tiny bit of compression. So not ideal and I'm no expert, but you get the idea.

Amp settings given below - MV altered a bit to keep it at conversation level - with the scale control at 0, so mW output. Any changes within each section due to guitar (SG-style twin humbucker) controls. Excuse the crap playing.

https://www.tristancollins.me/ax84/M...neerStudio.mp3

0 - 1'14" Gain 6/10, Presence 9/10, Middle 2/10, Tilt 6/10, Reverb 2/10, Scale 0/10
1'14" - 1'54" Gain 8/10
1'45" - 3'10" Gain 6/10, riding volume control + pickups
3'10" - 4'02" Gain 8/10, riding volume control
4'02" - end Plexi/October channel, Dark 4/10, Bright 6/10
Old 18th September 2019, 04:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

And another of the FireFly: https://www.tristancollins.me/ax84/M...io/Firefly.mp3

Gain 5/10 then 8/10. Mid 3/10, Tilt 6/10.

Wow, what an amp. My favourite of the ones I've built. The volume control on the guitar is so usable, from 2 or 3 to 10. Whereas the Studio is useful from 7 to 10. Might have to investigate with the scope why that is so. Might be lower preamp voltages. Or could be the valves - using proper NOS Mulllards in the FireFly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0371.jpg (744.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 18th September 2019, 04:24 PM   #14
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanc View Post
Managed to take a quick sound clip. <snip>
Thank you so much I appreciate it a lot! For my needs Plexi/October channel is what I need! :-)
Looking at the voltages... I have a bunch of NOS Russian 6sn7 which I'd like to use, but they do not take more than 350V, so is it possible to drop B+ to something like 330? What Bias should I have then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
Just thought I should mention this schematic.
Thank you! This one sounds amazing as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanc View Post
And another of the FireFly: <snip>
So you like FF better?!
Old 19th September 2019, 02:11 AM   #15
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wonder if a simple amp might do? I did a 6AK6 5E3 Deluxe amp before but if you get rid of the other channel and then use a Mosfet for the phase inverter then it is a two tube amp. Only a volume and tone knob. With PS components of course. I have never really been interested in a 12AU7 output amp, may just have to slap one together to see what it is like..

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Printer2; 19th September 2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 19th September 2019, 03:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

that is indeed pretty simple and elegant one... hm...You are putting me on a slippery slope... from making a simple amp and start practicing more to trying different amps :-) That DYI itch... I can quit anytime! hehe :-)
Old 19th September 2019, 10:50 AM   #17
cobretti is offline cobretti  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the October style amp a lot but what are those 6SN7GTB output tubes? Can they be replaced with something more common?
Old 19th September 2019, 11:37 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Thank you so much I appreciate it a lot! For my needs Plexi/October channel is what I need! :-)
Then just go with an October Studio. Loads of them built, so can't be that bad!
Quote:
Looking at the voltages... I have a bunch of NOS Russian 6sn7 which I'd like to use, but they do not take more than 350V, so is it possible to drop B+ to something like 330? What Bias should I have then?
If you drop the voltage it should still be OK - just less headroom / output. The GTB are higher voltage versions.
Quote:
So you like FF better?!
That combination just seems to work incredibly well - the 12AU7 self-split output and Merlin's High Gain (with tweaks). It could be the lower voltages but it sounds great to me at low levels - better than my Mutineer. Getting to the bottom of why - I tweaked the values to match between them as far as possible and the Mutineer sounds a bit better now, but still not as 'fun' as the FF. But I think the large level of NFB and higher power level are playing tricks. I'm thinking if I could test the Mutineer at higher output levels (ie, get the output tubes working a bit) then they'd get closer. Simulations show the the two should be fairly similar in response...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobretti View Post
I like the October style amp a lot but what are those 6SN7GTB output tubes? Can they be replaced with something more common?
Can always use a 12AU7 - that was an option listed somewhere. But not sure if the level needed to drive them would be even lower than the 6SN7...
Old 19th September 2019, 02:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

What if you combine plexi preamp with the FF output?
Old 19th September 2019, 06:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The reason I am asking is that from all the clips you posted I figured that I do not like that type of hi-gain sound. I prefer all the amps with mid-gain settings. Also the idea of modern/vintage switch is very appealing on the october pre :-)

Help to chose a practice amp (1W and less) to makeHide this!Advertise here!