Preamp for piezo sensor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Preamp_piezo.jpg
    Preamp_piezo.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Cello.jpg
    Cello.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 384
The sensor is already installed on the instrument. The piezo is shielded and drowned in a two-component resin, in a DIY silicone mold. Output is a shielded good quality cable.
What are the signal ground I should connect between R2 and R3? The shield metal box and what else?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8082.JPG
    IMG_8082.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_7783.JPG
    IMG_7783.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5958.JPG
    IMG_5958.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5143.JPG
    IMG_5143.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Preamp_piezomod.jpg
    Preamp_piezomod.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 284
Add 10pF across R5, if using the 5534 you also need 100nF ceramic cap between pins 4 and 7 (close to the 5534), always needed for proper performance of this chip.

I probably would use 4.7M to 10M.
That would prevent the 5534 from working, and the JFET option would be required. The 5534 has a worst-case input bias current of 1.5µA, which into 1M is 1.5V offset, just tolerable from 9V supply, any more and it would saturate at the rail.

A better circuit might be to use the opamp as a transimpedance stage, not a voltage amp stage, and with a JFET opamp (very low current noise).

I looked at simple charge amplifiers for the piezo pickup, as I was led to believe this is the best way to utilize piezo pickups.

Never got around to trying it, maybe worth a shot?

Charge amplifier for piezoelectric sensors with balanced impedances at... | Download Scientific Diagram
Years ago I was using a piezo sensor as an accelerometer sensing movement of a woofer cone. I used a charge amplifier configuration, the only way to keep noise pick-up low enough while getting the extended low-frequency response I needed.

I've never used a charge-mode amp for a musical instrument piezo, simply because my guitars all came with factory piezos and onboard preamps. But I agree that charge-mode is a very good idea - it has a very low input impedance, and that solves a lot of noise and interference problems.

The circuit shown in this thread has inadequate input impedance (you want 10M for R1, not 1M), and the 5534 is absolutely not an option - use an FET-input op-amp such as the TL061 or TL071, or a more modern flavour of JFET-input op-amp.

A charge-mode circuit, by contrast, has an extremely low input impedance, but you still need an FET-input op-amp, so that the tiny signal current from the piezo goes where it's supposed to go (into the feedback network), and not into the (-) input pin of the op-amp!

-Gnobuddy

I made these circuit changes as you suggested:
I added 100nF to pin 4-7 power supply IC
I used TL061
I added 18 pF (I don't have 10 pF) across R5 (10K)
It seems to go much better, now I try with a good shield
Tomorrow I will do the tests on the instrument ...
Thank you very much

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.