Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Fender Deluxe 6v6 cathode to ground??
Fender Deluxe 6v6 cathode to ground??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2019, 02:23 PM   #1
6V6dude is offline 6V6dude  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Fender Deluxe 6v6 cathode to ground??

Hope some can advice me on this. I am looking at this schematic
http://waynereno.com/resources/AB763...atic_Large.JPG
and seeing the pair of 6V6 cathodes going to the ground instead of bias resistor.
How can that be, I'm I not reading it right?
I thought I'd rebuild my DIY amp to Deluxe but I'm stuck not knowing what's going on with the 6V6 cathodes since I always use resistors but see none here.

Last edited by 6V6dude; 3rd September 2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 3rd September 2019, 02:25 PM   #2
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

It is fixed biased output stage. Look at the schematic. There is - 35 v at the control grids.
Old 4th September 2019, 12:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah, I've missed that one big time. I've never build amp with fixed bias so it confused me.
Thanks. I think for I'll just swap the EL84s in my PP amp for 6V6 and rebuild the tone stack. for now I'll leave the bias as it is and see how it sounds. I got the right speaker all ready for the Deluxe so in my mind it should be pretty close (wishful thinking).
Old 4th September 2019, 01:58 AM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> swap the EL84s in my PP amp for 6V6 ... I'll leave the bias as it is

NO!! 6V6 needs about twice the bias voltage for the same current (the current should be similar to EL84). So the cathode resistor for 6V6 should be like *twice* the value for EL84.

Or steal a value from a very similar (same plate and screen voltages) cathode-bias 6V6 amp.
Old 4th September 2019, 02:17 AM   #5
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Or use Ohm's Law.
Old 11th September 2019, 01:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, yes, I did new bias on it. I didn't mention it in my last post. Running at 300V on plates, got the tubes at 24mA. I can't get more than 300V out of my PT but guess it's about 60% dissipation, middle of the road. With old Jensen speaker it sounds pretty much like the Deluxe with little less clean headroom.

Fender Deluxe 6v6 cathode to ground??Hide this!Advertise here!