Basic DIY microphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> has a small 1:1 transformer inside

Are you sure?

I had the impression it was like 10:200 step-up. The coil is easier to wind to low impedance, but medium impedance is better for long lines. And I think I have seen people bypass the tranny, getting a very low output voltage but ample when used on LOUD sources.

Are you sure?

I had the impression it was like 10:200 step-up. The coil is easier to wind to low impedance, but medium impedance is better for long lines. And I think I have seen people bypass the tranny, getting a very low output voltage but ample when used on LOUD sources.
No, you're probably right. It's been a few years (decade or two) since I opened op a SM-57. But I do remember it's small. :)

Are you sure? I had the impression it was like 10:200 step-up. The coil is easier to wind to low impedance, but medium impedance is better for long lines.
That can't be right, if I am figgerin' correctly----a Shure SM-57/58 is listed as a 310Ω source impedance; a 20:1 transformer would then have to have a 0.775Ω coil to appear as 310Ω. I don't think they wind them THAT low.

Yeah, but I've seen these larger audio transformers on some preamp inputs, they're big enough so the magnetics don't saturate with a large low-frequency signal. But then those also carry the signals from a LDC condenser which have a lot more output than a dynamic mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.