Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Basic DIY microphones
Basic DIY microphones
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2019, 09:09 PM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Basic DIY microphones
One stereotype fits the SM58, apparently.

Take Scott's advice. Join the Yahoo group. Everything you need is there.
And buy an SM58/57 as reference.
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:03 PM   #22
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
I have a Nady SPC-25 that's nine or ten years old, used about 50 times a year at live events (mostly jams). It will probably last the rest of my life as long as I don't do anything stupid....... The externals are as tough as any mic I've ever used.......It's more than tough enough for live use, as my experience has confirmed. The Nady SPC-25 shows that you can own a handheld, live-performance mic with much better sound quality than an SM58, for less than the price of an SM58.
Well, thanks! That's about as good a review as a mic can get, especially a $50 one!!! Definitely worth trying, I'd say!

Last edited by dotneck335; 2nd September 2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:21 PM   #23
Stanphink is offline Stanphink  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Take Scott's advice. Join the Yahoo group. Everything you need is there.
Thanks, will do.
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:51 PM   #24
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
One stereotype fits the SM58, apparently.
Not at all. The word "stereotype" means a fixed and oversimplified image of a large category of person or thing. "All Swedish people are tall" is a relatively inoffensive example of a stereotype. It cannot possibly be true, because there are both tall and short people in Sweden, just as in every other country. We have all heard equally stupid, but much more unpleasant stereotypes about various other categories of people.

The problem is the categorization itself: people are individuals, and have individual characteristics that are not dictated by their appearance, age, country of origin, et cetera. If I look at the clothes you wear, or the shape of your eyes, or the country you came from, and based only on that trivial fact, form an opinion about what sort of person you are, I'm stereotyping. There are light-skinned blonde Mexicans with blue eyes. There are Europeans with very dark skin. Not every Chinese person is good at math. And so on, and so forth.

Because an SM58 is one specific microphone, it is literally impossible to stereotype it - it isn't a category of things, it's one single thing! There is no category of things to label with the same stereotype.

It is possible to stereotype, say, the manufacturer of the SM58 - Shure Corp. You could say "All Shure microphones are horrible". But I said no such thing, and I wouldn't, because it's obviously not true.

In my posts in this thread, I provided facts about moving coil microphones as a category (increased moving mass), along with specific facts related to the SM58 (its frequency response curve), followed by links where you could hear recordings made with a different type of live-performance microphone yourself, and decide whether it sounded better than an SM58 or not.

In one or two places I stated my opinion, and in almost every one of those cases I specifically stated that this was my opinion, not an objective fact. Yes, I think the SM58 is a lousy microphone. A really lousy microphone. You may or may not share my opinion - that's entirely up to your ear/brain system.
Quote:
And buy an SM58/57 as reference.
Even better, borrow or rent one to try. They're like navels, everybody has one, so it should be relatively easy to borrow one from a musician friend. If you end up sharing my opinion of its sound quality, you will not be happy about having spent $100 USD on one, so better to form your opinion first, before you spend the money.

-Gnobuddy
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:55 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
Well, thanks! That's about as good a review as a mic can get, especially a $50 one!!! Definitely worth trying, I'd say!
A few tips: keep the microphone at least a few inches from your mouth when singing (no need to "eat the mic" like the SM58), don't let anyone blow directly into it to "test if it's live" (a blast of air might damage the thin Mylar film diaphragm), and don't let any drunken musicians pour beer over one!

-Gnobuddy
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:46 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Basic DIY microphones
The SM58/57 is the all time reference. We understand that Gnobuddy doesn't like it, but that's a rather rare opinion.

Look on YouTube. There are 100s of videos comparing the SM58 or SM57 to all sorts of different mics. Put on good headphones and have a listen. Those videos might lead you to a microphone type that you do like. You might be surprised how similar many mics sound.

Mics are like screwdrivers. It's good to have a variety to fit a variety of needs. You'll have fn building and testing them.
Old 3rd September 2019, 02:34 AM   #27
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The SM58/57 is the all time reference. Look on YouTube. There are 100s of videos comparing the SM58 or SM57 to all sorts of different mics.
Did you happen to find one comparing the Shure to the Nady?
Old 3rd September 2019, 02:38 AM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Basic DIY microphones
Ha ha, that would be fun. . Of course the important thing for this thread isn't what mic is good or bad or medium, but a known standard reference. If you have a well known benchmark like the SM57/58 it allows you and others to know where you are in your mic experiments..

FWIW, I was forced to use Nady wireless on a long tour many, many years ago. The experience was so bad that I have not touched it since. Maybe they've gotten better.
Old 3rd September 2019, 04:07 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
Did you happen to find one comparing the Shure to the Nady?
Look up reviews of the Nady on Amazon, etc. You'll usually find some reviews from people who have experience with the SM58, and have compared both.

-Gnobuddy
Old 3rd September 2019, 04:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ha ha, that would be fun. .
I did, and yes, it was!

Quote:
...a known standard reference...
Sometimes the known standard reference happens to be a lousy product.

The Windows operating system is a good example - it's still the most insecure operating system I've ever used, but most people have never used anything else, and don't realize how bad Windows is. In 1997 I met Windows for the first time after years of working on Solaris (Unix), and I was shocked at how bad Windows 95 was. It was a crude and unreliable toy compared to Unix, crashing a dozen times a day and prone to catching any number of nasty viruses. But the general public didn't know any better, and for good reason: there weren't many alternatives at the time.

The SM58 is another standard reference with feet of clay. It has some good qualities - its tough as nails and dependable. Unfortunately, it sounds awful with most vocalists. When it was released in 1966, there probably weren't many better alternatives. But that was 53 years ago.

The Yamaha NS-10 loudspeaker was another similar benchmark. It was designed as a cheap-n-nasty domestic speaker, but quite inexplicably, it became extremely popular as a monitor speaker in recording studios. Even those who loved the NS-10 found its treble was so harsh that it became routine to drape a length of toilet-paper over the front of the tweeter to make the treble bearable.

How did a cheap and nasty speaker become so popular in recording studios? Beats me.
Quote:
FWIW, I was forced to use Nady wireless on a long tour many, many years ago. The experience was so bad that I have not touched it since. Maybe they've gotten better.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Affordable wireless mics tend to be unreliable, which is why many musicians have scorned them for years. I have had AKG wireless mics fail on me, but that hardly means every AKG product is bad.

In case it was not understood: The SPC-25 isn't wireless.

In case it was also not understood: I don't have any personal investment in whether you like the SPC-25, or the SM58, or both, or neither.

-Gnobuddy

Basic DIY microphonesHide this!Advertise here!