Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Power Amplifier [150Euros]
Power Amplifier [150Euros]
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2019, 03:57 AM   #11
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

The value of the fundamental of a square wave is not 1.0 but 1.27. That does not cover the discrepancy, but reminds up that wave-smacking is not a simple thing.
Old 26th August 2019, 04:16 AM   #12
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
And that link contains the sentence "A pure square wave with infinite harmonics has THDF of 48.3%,[1][13][14]..."

The first of those references is available online, and proved to be readable, at least initially; I was able to follow the calculation of THD for a square wave, and it is {square root of ( ((pi^2)/8) - 1 )}, which works out to 48.3%.

So you are correct, and my estimate is badly wrong.

I think I found the mistake I was making: I calculated THD for a square wave and sine wave of the same peak value, visualizing an amp gradually driven from clean into clipping.

But if you take the Fourier series of a square wave, the amplitude of the fundamental is not the same as the amplitude of the square wave...it's bigger! (And so, THD is lower.)

This leads to something I didn't expect at all: if you feed an amplifier a sinewave, and gradually turn up the amplitude till clipping starts, and then push it further into clipping, the amplitude of that fundamental-frequency sinewave continues to increase!

-Gnobuddy
Old 26th August 2019, 04:17 AM   #13
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
The value of the fundamental of a square wave is not 1.0 but 1.27. That does not cover the discrepancy, but reminds up that wave-smacking is not a simple thing.
You posted that while I was composing my last post...I think we both found the error I was making at about the same time.

-Gnobuddy
Old 26th August 2019, 04:04 PM   #14
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
And that link contains the sentence "... THDF of 48.3%..."
I didn't *read* my own citation! Thanks for spotting that.

> fundamental-frequency sinewave continues to increase!

Intuitively: if you tune your ear to just the 1kHz, and crank past clipping, the 1kHz *does* increase. Yes, that's not normal hearing: the harmonics cloud perception, and we are used to just hearing "louder" without reference to the fundamental. I would not trust my ears either way (blind or knowing). Band-filter meter would tell; so could a tuned pipe (snip of garden-hose) on an SPL meter.

me> reminds up that wave-smacking

Sorry, "...reminds us that wave-smacking..."
Old 17th September 2019, 09:29 PM   #15
forart.eu is offline forart.eu  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entas View Post
Hello,

Checking some Power Amps, the one that I like the t.amp E-400 Thomann Lithuania. Can I find better one than this? Is this thing actually have 190Wrms @ 4ohm?
What about Behringher A800 (2 x 400W @ 4ohms) which is a fanless Class-D reference studio amplifier available between 170-180 ?

Power Amplifier [150Euros]Hide this!Advertise here!