Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Blackstar HT Stage 100 with blown power tube
Blackstar HT Stage 100 with blown power tube
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2019, 11:28 PM   #1
PhantomBox is offline PhantomBox  Venezuela
diyAudio Member

Default Blackstar HT Stage 100 with blown power tube

Hi guys.
So someone brought me a Blackstar HT Stage 100W amp head for repair.
He said that he was playing it when suddenly it made a pop-pop sound, and then he immediately turned it off.
After first checking, I found that one of the EL34 power tubes quit its job (thought it doesn't show any signs of fog inside) ... I also changed a 12AX7 tube that tested "not sooo good" on my tube tester.
Other than that, I have not taken out any of the PCBs.
Is there anything I should pay special attention to as for why the EL34 stopped working in the first place?
Does anyone have a service manual or at least the schematics for this amp? I cannot find them anywhere online.
Is it possible to run this amp on just 2 EL34s, instead of 4 tubes? If so, which ones can I take out? How is the bias setting for running on 2 tubes?
By the way: Since is says "Designed and Engineered ..." on the back of the amp but not "Manufactured" or "Assembled", and based on my observations of its PCBs, I assume it was made in China. Am I correct?
A 1000 thanks for your help.
Old 19th August 2019, 03:09 PM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Tubes can fail at any time, I don't necessarily expect some external cause for it.
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I got it working again. Seems that actually nothing was wrong with this amp.
I put in an EL34 that I borrowed from a Buguera amp and hooked it up to a 212 cabinet. Calibrated the bias as close to 100 mV as I can get, almost on the spot (it fluctuates little, maybe its power lines in my house...), and it sounds great.
Now I have to wait until the owner gets a new set of quad-matched EL34s and return my EL34 to its rightful amp.
Thanks for your help...
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:03 PM   #5
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> I have to wait until the owner gets a new set of quad-matched EL34s and return my EL34 to its rightful amp.

No, return my EL34 to its rightful amp NOW, *then* wait until the owner gets a new set.
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"Potatoes - potatos".
That's what I meant.

Blackstar HT Stage 100 with blown power tubeHide this!Advertise here!